Rectum protrusion in 3 day old Turkey poult ~ what should i do?

Mar 14, 2023
Just brought this Turkey poult home, it’s a bourbon red 3 day old. Looks like its rectum has prolapsed. I’ve tried with KY to gently push it back in but I’m afraid of hurting it more than it is. What do I do?
CBB9BEE1-201B-42C4-88A3-2CAD93F94CF7.jpeg

Attachments

• 45C5CE97-CD14-4581-93B8-1B9A630CF2D9.jpeg
    45C5CE97-CD14-4581-93B8-1B9A630CF2D9.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 4
I don't have Turkeys, but I'd treat it like I would a chicken chick.

Is the Poult able to poop?

I'd keep it cleaned and keep the tissue moist with an ointment, oil or honey. You can also give the bottom a soak in a warm epsom salts bath to see if that helps reduce swelling, just be sure to dry her well so she doesn't chill. For tiny chicks, I use a hair dryer to dry them before they go back to their space.

Work on hydrating the Poult, see that she's getting plenty of fluids. You can also offer wet mushy feed with a bit of coconut oil as well.

I'd keep her separated from the others so the exposed vent tissue does not get damaged from picking.

I'll tag in some Turkey folks to see if they have any other suggestions. @R2elk @casportpony @Huntmaster @Molpet

I don't have Turkeys, but I'd treat it like I would a chicken chick.

Is the Poult able to poop?

I'd keep it cleaned and keep the tissue moist with an ointment, oil or honey. You can also give the bottom a soak in a warm epsom salts bath to see if that helps reduce swelling, just be sure to dry her well so she doesn't chill. For tiny chicks, I use a hair dryer to dry them before they go back to their space.

Work on hydrating the Poult, see that she's getting plenty of fluids. You can also offer wet mushy feed with a bit of coconut oil as well.

I'd keep her separated from the others so the exposed vent tissue does not get damaged from picking.

I'll tag in some Turkey folks to see if they have any other suggestions. @R2elk @casportpony @Huntmaster @Molpet
thank you, I’m nit seeing any poop yet but she did make it through the night. I separated Her from the one that was picking her butt. I’ll try what you suggested to day.

thank you, I’m nit seeing any poop yet but she did make it through the night. I separated Her from the one that was picking her butt. I’ll try what you suggested to day.
I did all you suggested. She pooped in the water so that’s great, it’s much better after her bath. I believe she’ll be alright. Thank you for your help

Could also be a hernia were the yolk is absorbed.
Treatment would be same as a chick.

I grow mine for food... if I nurse one back to health it's too emotionally difficult to harvest ... so I let nature take it's course or cull if it's in pain.
We don’t harvest and it’s perfectly fine with me when one does😊 she’s better now after a soak and doesn’t appear to be in pain now. Thank you for responding

Back
Top Bottom