Recreate the Producer's Price coop roof?

fat brown hen

Songster
Jun 12, 2022
I built a small 4x8 box coop/run, but it still needs a roof. I really like the looks of the cheap-o mini coops at Tractor Supply, and I'm wondering how I can recreate this at home.

Is it just thin plywood wrapped in some sort of roofing paper? I have zero roofing experience, so please explain it like i'm 5 :)

(the coop is already fully encased in a double layer of hardware cloth + welded wire, so the roof is purely for weather.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 10.25.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 10.25.19 AM.png
    614.4 KB · Views: 63
That is actually not a real roofing product. Meaning you're not just going to find a roll of it at home depot. If I was going to recreate it I'd take particle board and glue on a sheet of tar paper with course sand glued on to that. Like for an indoor project or something but NOT a coop roof. I have this. I bought this coop to use as a brooder inside my actual coop. I left the roof pieces outside leaned up against my coop and you should see what they look like after one winter. The "wood," which I promise you is not plywood, it's particle board is not the pretty grey anymore, it's black from mold. And the "roofing paper," just peeled away. It's garbage. I doubt that anyone will encourage you to use this in actual weather. No one wants to see you waste money. Just grab some real asphalt or cedar shingles and cover real plywood to be a way better position with an attractive roof.

I'm not opposed to metal roof, but I don't have a way to cut it. And this might sound stupid, but my coop is at about face level, and I have this irrational fear that one day I'll move too quickly and slice my head open on a metal edge.
Not irrational at all.
It's totally likely in my opinion.

I hung wind chimes and planters on the corners of mine to force a step away from those corners.

I'm not opposed to metal roof, but I don't have a way to cut it. And this might sound stupid, but my coop is at about face level, and I have this irrational fear that one day I'll move too quickly and slice my head open on a metal edge.
I've cut the tin metal roofing sheets with tin snips, yes it leaves sharp edges.

I think the poly carbonate roofs (see link below) cut with a table saw, circular saw, etc but probably a right and very wrong way to do it.

For all of them, use the recommended washer/foam type screws, and technique as to what part of the valey of the material, and how tight will matter greatly. And they usually require some underlayment either purlins/supports (a frame type structure), with or without plywood as a support.

(https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntop-...te-Roof-Panel-in-Castle-Gray-108975/100037754)

And this might sound stupid, but my coop is at about face level, and I have this irrational fear that one day I'll move too quickly and slice my head open on a metal edge.
Legit fear, I recently jammed my knee into my metal roofed brooder and gave myself a 1" long scar.
I think the poly carbonate roofs (see link below) cut with a table saw, circular saw, etc but probably a right and very wrong way to do it.
Polycarbonate panels can be cut with heavy duty scissors (I used tin snips). Won't be as nice and even looking but if absence of tools is an issue, it will do the trick.

It is a clever solution. I especially like the last suggestion of hanging gutters on the edges as bumpers/rain collection. Although, after thinking about what I would need to make the roof decapitation-proof, it seems like a regular wood+shingle roof would be the least amount of work. Same with the polycarbonate panels -- sounds simple, but then factor in purlins, closure strips, crack-proof screws, and it becomes a big project.

Now we're talking! By "roofing paint", do you mean something like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-5...tive-Roof-Coating-0-90-gal-HE587146/202091035
It would be brilliant if this is all I need. Didn't even realize such a product existed until I searched for "roofing paint".
The weather here is hot and dry, think California desert. A few times per year we get some heavy rain. This would be perfect.
I've used that on sheets of plywood both flat and sloped like a roof should be, it worked fine.

It is a clever solution. I especially like the last suggestion of hanging gutters on the edges as bumpers/rain collection. Although, after thinking about what I would need to make the roof decapitation-proof, it seems like a regular wood+shingle roof would be the least amount of work. Same with the polycarbonate panels -- sounds simple, but then factor in purlins, closure strips, crack-proof screws, and it becomes a big project.

Now we're talking! By "roofing paint", do you mean something like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-5...tive-Roof-Coating-0-90-gal-HE587146/202091035
It would be brilliant if this is all I need. Didn't even realize such a product existed until I searched for "roofing paint".
The weather here is hot and dry, think California desert. A few times per year we get some heavy rain. This would be perfect.
Yes, that’s the stuff. It seems thinner than you’d expect but a few coats have worked pretty well. We get a lot of rain and so far the panels I painted in the fall are still waterproof.

Back
Top Bottom