Recipe for making your own feed

I don't add a specific mineral, but there's oyster shell available - free choice - and they have the run and when i'm home the entire (urban) backyard, where they tend to eat whatever they want. They really enjoyed comfrey leaves this fall and demolished all 4 of my plants. :) I know that has minerals in it. It's a dynamic accumulator. I plan on planting more of it next spring and protecting it from them until it gets going.

I don't add a specific mineral, but there's oyster shell available - free choice - and they have the run and when i'm home the entire (urban) backyard, where they tend to eat whatever they want. They really enjoyed comfrey leaves this fall and demolished all 4 of my plants. :) I know that has minerals in it. It's a dynamic accumulator. I plan on planting more of it next spring and protecting it from them until it gets going.

Can you please tell me where you get your comfrey seeds? I usually buy all my seeds from Baker Creek, but it looks like they don't sell it. I would like to plant some because people keep raving about how much their chickens like it.

Edit--nevermind, just read multiple articles and studies done by a few universities explaining that it is carcinogenic and causes liver problems over a period of time. Going to research other herbs that may be beneficial for them to munch on.

Last edited:
There is some debate regarding the use of comfrey internally, even with livestock. I would encourage you to take a close look at the study cited when comfrey is blamed for liver failure and tumors. I cannot think of any substance which, when highly concentrated and subcutaneously injected at a concentration higher than any one or thing could possibly ingest, would not have an effect on the liver and probably cause cancer.

I find that allowing them to browse it free choice in the yard or having a free-choice hopper of the dried leaves is good for the chickens. There is no ratio I can find for how much to mix into their feed, so I let them eat it or leave it as they will.

There are other things you can use, of course, in the way of high-mineral herbs. Kelp, stinging nettles (dried), red raspberry leaf, and red clover buds are some commonly available ones.

I found a mix that works for me using this spreadsheet. I do not grind anything but instead hand mix a whole grain/seed ration. I sprinkle a poultry premix over the feed when I serve it, or stir it in with the water if I'm serving it wet or fermented. I also add cayenne or crushed red pepper in the winter.

Wheat & oats should not be more than 15% of the total ration by weight, flax no more than 10%. I did not do the math on your mixture.

My mix is millet, barley, oats, black oil sunflower seed, and flax, plus the mineral premix, extra grit, and brewer's yeast. I have been getting steady eggs as my pullets are coming into lay.

Would you be willing to share your recipe? Are sunflower seeds with shells? I don't know anything about feeding chickens; only that the quality of food is important.
Thanks...

This website can also be very helpful,, it will give you protein values, fats, trace elements, digestability and other things. Be careful with the barley and rye, but small amounts are ok,, like corn, barley is low in protein value and rye can actually inhibit nutrition absorption in poultry due to the presence of some compounds in the rye. Check under the nutritional aspects tab of each grain. Good luck :)

http://www.feedipedia.org/

Last edited:
This website can also be very helpful,, it will give you protein values, fats, trace elements, digestability and other things. Be careful with the barley and rye, but small amounts are ok,, like corn, barley is low in protein value and rye can actually inhibit nutrition absorption in poultry due to the presence of some compounds in the rye. Check under the nutritional aspects tab of each grain. Good luck :)

http://www.feedipedia.org/

Oh, what a great site! I don't know how I've missed this with all my research!

No prob :) I found it by accident one day while searching for the protein value of sunflower seeds of all things :)

Also,, if you want to concoct some sort of feed mix,, ie layer, grower, scratch, whatever and you want to keep it around a certain percentage,, say 16% and you do not have access to the fancy spreadsheets,,, you can always do it the old fashioned way using a Pearson Square. This is what I learned with back when spreadsheets were unheard of. :)
For those who don't know what a Pearson Square is,, here is a link:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/livestk/01618.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom