Recessive White

Mr D

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2015
SETX
I understand that for recessive whites to breed true, both parents must carry the gene (the Offspring needs two recessives to be Uni-white). For this example, we‘ll use a White Dorking and a Red Dorking. If we breed those two together, the offspring won’t be white because it‘ll only possess one copy of the recessive white gene. But will the Offspring look full Red Dorking? Is breeding a Red Dorking with a White Dorking the same as breeding two Reds?

If the white is recessive then white dorking crossed with red dorking would create phenotypically a red dorking, carrying one recessive white allele. No white phenotypically.

Breeding white dorking with red is definitely not the same as breeding red to red. The white dorking could be based e, Er. Who knows.

It all depends what the white one is underneath. Recessive white covers all patterns so if its the red dorking pattern underneath they will produce that pattern.
If the white is a different pattern underneath it will breed as that pattern. So say its black underneath crossed with the red dorking the black would be dominate and they wouldn't produce reds.

Like it was replied above, it all depends what other mutations are hiding under the white...
From experience though, white dorkings typically hide silver grey and barring. crossing over a red, you may potentially get red duckwing, gold duckwing (heterozygous for silver in cocks - often confused for colored Dorkings) , silver duckwing or any of those in a barred pattern (crele being a barred red duckwing pattern).

Last edited:
Like it was replied above, it all depends what other mutations are hiding under the white...
from experience though, white dorkings typically hide silver grey and barring. crossing over a red, you may potentially get red duckwing, gold duckwing (heterozygous for silver in cocks - often confused for colored Dorkings) , silver duckwing or any of those in a barred pattern (crele being a barred red duckwing pattern).
X2

You don’t know what the white me hide.

I understand that for recessive whites to breed true, both parents must carry the gene (the Offspring needs two recessives to be Uni-white). For this example, we‘ll use a White Dorking and a Red Dorking. If we breed those two together, the offspring won’t be white because it‘ll only possess one copy of the recessive white gene. But will the Offspring look full Red Dorking? Is breeding a Red Dorking with a White Dorking the same as breeding two Reds?
thanks for asking this one about the time I was going to ask a similar question that ended up getting answered on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom