Reasons Why My Goose Won't Eat

adrian

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Regina, SK
I have a 5 week-old gosling who is very sweet. She is a pilgrim girl. In the past day, possibly two, she has stopped eating. She will sightly pick at some food, shake her head, and stop. She seems more sleepy, but will run around after me, flap her wings, etc. But she does seem to be lacking a little bit of energy. She also seems rather light when I pick her up, but I may just be paying more attention... She is glad to drink water, but not eat.

I've heard a need for grit may be related to this but she didn't seem interested in grit, either. I have put her in a small bin with food, grit and water, hoping that she will eat if she has the opportunity, alone. The food in question is a food she always liked...

I'm so worried. I might get her to a vet tomorrow, but I am just completely unsure of what this could be. And I really don't have much money. Check ups are at least 70 dollars alone... And only involve a simple once-over and check of the heart rate.

What could it be?

Quote:
You need to do a once over on her and see if you can detect anything not right. I'd particularly check her mouth, neck and crop. Go over her stem to stern, even wings and under the wings as well as underside- I assume she's moving her parts normally as you said she is following you and such. Another goose here was not doing well and the owner couldn't figure out why, it had a big wound on her underside hidden in the fluff that had been there more then a couple days. Is she pooping? Have you tried tempting her with greens or vegetables??

She is pooping, but it is very liquidy if not all liquid.

I will check her for wounds, but she is mostly inside anyway...
I have checked her mouth and it looks fine. But I will see about the rest of her. I will get back to you.

Edit: I checked her, and can't find anything abnormal. I don't even know what could be wrong. There isn't anything stuck in her throat... Her breathing is normal. Heart rate, from what I can tell, is normal. But she may have a heart problem for all I know; she was the runt and was born with this odd throat thing. What I mean to say is, her esophagus / trachea or something is very evident at her throat. You can grasp it. None of my other geese have this. But how much could that do? She has eaten well until now... Although she took a while to eat when she was born. Shook her head a lot, as she does now, and just seemed disinterested. But I can't find anything wrong with her, and she is pooping, so a blockage seems unlikely...

I added a protein / vitamin supplement to her water, and watched her drink it. I feed this to very young or ill birds that won't eat. Hopefully it will help.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hmmm I was hoping you'd find something to point to. I start thinking something having to do with her throat not being right. This just sucks, I am so sorry. I am glad you went with the supplement in the water, that was my next suggestion. You know my geese always shook their heads when they tried a new food, I think to clear all but a taste out of their mouthes. If she is shaking her head alot it makes me think something in her mouth/throat she may be trying to get out. Did you feel her throat carefully all the way down- noting any lumps or tender spots? Does she shake her head when drinking or does she drink like the others??

Last edited:
She drinks just like the others do, yes. She also eats just fine under normal circumstances. Her odd throat has never affected her in any way, but I presume she may have a heart defect. I will get her checked by a vet.

I checked her throat - and nothing. I can tell when they are having trouble getting food down, as it is quite evident. I checked her tongue. I think she has a scratch near the tip of it, and the tongue itself seems very dry despite her access to water at all times. Is there any reason the tongue would be dry, and is it likely the scratch is causing her discomfort?

I have noticed her shaking her head, her tongue stuck out a little. I think it seems to be bothering her. Will the supplement keep her alive until it feels a little better, or is there anything I need to do? The supplement has protein, vitamins and probiotics in it. It's a hand-feeding formula for newborns and ill birds who won't eat.

If you can give me any pointers, any at all, I would be grateful.

I just logged on because my little guy has the exact same problem -- whatever it is -- and I'm in tears. He shakes his head and will take pieces of spinach the size of dimes, but that's it. I called every vet in town yesterday and couldn't find one that would look at a goose. Would it be crazy to drive him a hundred miles to Phoenix?

Not if you think the problem is severe or aren't sure what the problem is... I think her problem is a cut on her tongue, but I am not sure. She seemed to take an interest in chewing on lettuce last night but, only took a few tiny pieces. She's really special to me, and I'd be devastated if she died. If I don't see any improvement, I will do what I have to in order to make sure she is okay. Is your little guy drinking? Walking around? Acting normal? My girl seems more tired than usual but not to the point of complete lethargy. She does drink a lot and gets some nutrition from her water, thanks to hand feeding formulas and bird vitamins. She even gets probiotics. I'm just hoping it's enough to keep her alive until she wants to eat, if the problem is indeed with the tongue. But can I really be sure of the problem's cause?

I'm thinking if worse comes to worse, I can tube feed her nutrition. I've never tube fed a goose but they are like most birds, not too hard to figure out.

Just wanted to say that she is doing well.
I started to feed her some baby cereals and she soon was chomping down lettuce and greens as if it were her last meal. She is now active and happy and being just as annoying as ever. As I speak, she is trying to type with her beak. I am just so glad she is okay. Tinkertyme, I hope your baby is okay.

Quote:
Well I'm not sure if it is that but I suppose it could be- it makes sense with all the head shaking. Try some cooked malt o meal, that may agree with her tongue better with it being moist. That and greens in a dish of water...they really like wet greens. Maybe some canned veggies? those are wet and mushy. Baby food even might be something she'd like...worth a try. You could even take a small amount of her normal food and make a mash out of it and try it. That is about all I can think of off the top of my head, anything to get food down her.

Back
Top Bottom