Real men love this quiche

rrrsmom

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 2, 2007
salt lake city, Ut
1 pie crust- I use the premade kind you unroll or fold out but if you've mastered a pie crust, more power to you. I always use a big glass pie baking dish. Not the little frozen kind you can get at the grocery store. Those are too small.

There are so many different ways to make this I'm going to list the basics and what they can be substituted for.

1/2 lb bacon-cooked- and/or ham/ (or sometimes I use a whole lb!)
1 box frozen spinach/ brocolli
**** defrost and squeeze all the water out. This is really important!****
1/2 lb grated swiss cheese
Anything else you want in your quiche. mushrooms etc.
4 large or 5 medium eggs
1 1/2 cups cream or half and half or I even use canned milk -even the evaporated skim and it turns out great.
a pinch (about 1/4 tsp) nutmeg

crumble the bacon or dice the ham or both, and put it on top of the pie crust (in the big pie pan, not one of those little frozen kind. You'll have to cut the recipe down for one of those, but at least a deep 9" one.) after you have squeezed all the water out of your veggies (or feel free to use fresh if your chickens haven't eaten it all) spread it out evenly over the bacon/ham. Spread the grated swiss cheese out over that.

Beat your eggs and milk/cream together until it's uniform in color and add the pinch of nutmeg. Pour in the pie tin over the bacon, veggie and cheese.

Bake in a preheated 425 oven for 15 minutes then turn the oven down to 325 and bake for another 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before you cut it or it could be watery.

I've served this quiche to the manliest of men and they all say they would even eat it in public!

Sometimes, (because I'm not good at pie crusts) if I don't have a refrigerator pie crust, I spray the pie pan with pam, put in the bacon, veggie and cheese and when I'm mixing the eggs and cream/milk together I add half a cup of bisquick in with the nutmeg and beat it again til it's all uniform in color. Bake the same way. It's not quite as good but works just fine. It'll actually surprise you.

Last edited:
rrrsmom, I made this quiche for breakfast this morning and it is soooo good. My DH & I loved it. I think next time I will make it the night before as he had a lot of trouble waiting for it.
big_smile.png
Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Back
Top Bottom