Rat Control 101

You may find some dead ones, but the vast majority go home to die. (Once they start feeling sick, they retreat to the safety/security of their tunnels). They do down and never get up.

What happens after the rats eat the bait from the bait box? Do they go back into their nests and die or will I be finding dead rats all over ?
At first I found quite a few dead rats which I disposed of but I had a severe infestation. I did not find any dead rats in the nests when I took out the walls and the ceiling that had nests. Now I check the bait boxes regularly and re-bait as needed. I haven't found any dead rats in quite awhile.

At first I found quite a few dead rats which I disposed of but I had a severe infestation. I did not find any dead rats in the nests when I took out the walls and the ceiling that had nests. Now I check the bait boxes regularly and re-bait as needed. I haven't found any dead rats in quite awhile.
Thanks so much

I have posted about peppermint extract before. I don't know how to pin or anything, for those who didn't see my post I will tell it again.
I have a camera in my run, chicken tv. One night me and my husband were watching the monitor, and instead of chicken tv, we had mouse/rat tv. A dozen or so mice and a couple of rats were running around the runs from feeder to feeder. (I have no food in the coops). After looking on the web for home remedies, I found Peppermint Extract. I took a 2oz bottle and poured it in an 18oz spray bottle and filled with water. I sprayed around the feeders and the doors to the coops when I locked them up. The first night we were down to maybe 3-4 mice running around, but none of them went to any of the feeding stations. Night 2 brought 1 mouse. and after that nothing. I sprayed every night the first week, then every other, after 3 weeks or so, I'm down to spraying 1-2 times a week. I will see a mouse every now and then, but still not around the food. To buy Peppermint Extract at the store, (Walmart), runs almost $4 a bottle, but, if you go to Walmart.com, you can get 5 - 2oz bottles, for $5.77. For those who want results without the poison or traps, this has worked awesome for me. It also has a calming effect on laying and broody hens. I've had my hens in the coop squawking and carrying on and I'll spray around the door and let it carry in, and they will start settling in almost immediately. I love my Peppermint!!:love

I have posted about peppermint extract before. I don't know how to pin or anything, for those who didn't see my post I will tell it again.
I have a camera in my run, chicken tv. One night me and my husband were watching the monitor, and instead of chicken tv, we had mouse/rat tv. A dozen or so mice and a couple of rats were running around the runs from feeder to feeder. (I have no food in the coops). After looking on the web for home remedies, I found Peppermint Extract. I took a 2oz bottle and poured it in an 18oz spray bottle and filled with water. I sprayed around the feeders and the doors to the coops when I locked them up. The first night we were down to maybe 3-4 mice running around, but none of them went to any of the feeding stations. Night 2 brought 1 mouse. and after that nothing. I sprayed every night the first week, then every other, after 3 weeks or so, I'm down to spraying 1-2 times a week. I will see a mouse every now and then, but still not around the food. To buy Peppermint Extract at the store, (Walmart), runs almost $4 a bottle, but, if you go to Walmart.com, you can get 5 - 2oz bottles, for $5.77. For those who want results without the poison or traps, this has worked awesome for me. It also has a calming effect on laying and broody hens. I've had my hens in the coop squawking and carrying on and I'll spray around the door and let it carry in, and they will start settling in almost immediately. I love my Peppermint!!:love
Thank you Stacy.I am going to go out today and buy some peppermint extract. I love the idea of going natural as poisons and traps scare the heck out of me. I hate the idea of killing any living creature but I will if it comes to that. Hopefully this will work and will send them packing. If not I will have to do the poison in a bait station.

I'll post my results

Did a quick search on peppermint oil.....NOT extract......oil....... and a lot of stuff comes up......this being one of the more concise articles:

https://mousetrapx.com/peppermint-oil-mice/

If you feel this is a solution that will work for you, do try it and report back with the results.

BTW, most of the references I found were to mice and rats in the home......aka, mostly ROOF rats. So using mint in an enclosed setting like in and around the home may work better than outdoors areas where the volatiles will be dispersed more easily. But again, try it and let us know how it works.

Did a quick search on peppermint oil.....NOT extract......oil....... and a lot of stuff comes up......this being one of the more concise articles:

https://mousetrapx.com/peppermint-oil-mice/

If you feel this is a solution that will work for you, do try it and report back with the results.

BTW, most of the references I found were to mice and rats in the home......aka, mostly ROOF rats. So using mint in an enclosed setting like in and around the home may work better than outdoors areas where the volatiles will be dispersed more easily. But again, try it and let us know how it works.
Good article.

Interestingly enough. When I first discovered the 2 holes in my run I used a funnel and poured straight white vinegar down each hole. I would say maybe 2 cups in each hole. They stayed away for about 4-5 days. I then poured more when the holes opened up again. Clearly the smell somewhat deters them

Thank you Stacy.I am going to go out today and buy some peppermint extract. I love the idea of going natural as poisons and traps scare the heck out of me. I hate the idea of killing any living creature but I will if it comes to that. Hopefully this will work and will send them packing. If not I will have to do the poison in a bait station.

I'll post my results
Good luck , I hope it works as well for you . Keep posted.

Good article.

Interestingly enough. When I first discovered the 2 holes in my run I used a funnel and poured straight white vinegar down each hole. I would say maybe 2 cups in each hole. They stayed away for about 4-5 days. I then poured more when the holes opened up again. Clearly the smell somewhat deters them
Their nose is how they find their food , some scents hurt, burn their nasal cavity.

Back
Top Bottom