Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Quote:
I never kept an exact count because ours are with our chickens. They go through more in the winter. During the rest of the year they seem to go through very little feed compared to chickens.

What do you feed keets?

Do they get medicated crumbles or just plain crumbles, or do they need the higher protein game starter crumbles?

Quote:
I have always fed mine regular chick feed. That may not be the best though.

Last edited:
Quote:
I fed mine some leftover medicated chick starter for the first week, but they have been on a non-medicated gamebird feed for the past 2-3 weeks. I also give them hard boiled eggs, which they go nuts for, and they have been growing like weeds.

I'm considering getting 2 baby guineas I have 1 acre of land in the middle of town, I have 14 chickens and there is no problem but would 2 guineas be too loud? Once i got them i'd hate to let them go but i want to be realistic with my neighbors. I don't keep roosters for this reason. I posted this question and didn't get much of a response. some one sent me here but i had already read this and it didn't address how loud 2 guineas would be.

I don't know if your yard is fenced in or not. For some reason, guineas just LOVE to be out on the road. I free range my chickens and they never go on the road. My neighbor has guineas. He lives across the road from us with about a quarter mile drive and his guineas will occasionally come down and visit. They wonder up and down the road for awhile and then decide to go back home. I would like guineas but will not get any for this reason. When I was a youngster, our neighbor had guineas and it seemed at least a weekly occurance to find a dead one on the road.
They do chatter alot. Even when they are up at the farm, I can hear them through-out the day.

Back
Top Bottom