Raising Asian heritage hogs for meat

LexsPeeps

Songster
Apr 2, 2017
Kentucky
AKA potbelly pigs.
I know going into this its a very controversial subject but I've come to think of potbellies as a dual purpose breed as many chickens are.

I have 2 PB as pets that will soon be bred together and we plan on selling some of the piglets and keeping some to raise for meat. We manage a small homestead and PB have more purpose on our land than large feeder hogs which require more maintenance.

I know the question "can you eat PB?" has been asked on here before, but my question(s) are does anyone have experience with raising them for meat? From what research I have gathered they have a richer taste but the downside is they can contain ALOT of excess fat if not fed the correct diet. So my other question is what should I feed them to so they have more meat on them? Will traditional hog food suffice, along with fruits and vegitables?
I've never raised hogs myself but I have family that has but being commercial hogs I feel they are mainly fattened up for weight price and not so much caring about fat content.

I LOVE my 2 PB and I would be completely heartbroken if something happened to them, as such they aren't for eating but some of their offspring will be. I also know that if given the wrong diet they will become fat and unhealthy which I do not want either for my babies. Pigs have come to have a huge place in my heart and I only want the best for them wether they are pets or for meat.

Attachments

• 20170801_113123.jpg
    20170801_113123.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 100
AKA potbelly pigs.
I know going into this its a very controversial subject but I've come to think of potbellies as a dual purpose breed as many chickens are.

I have 2 PB as pets that will soon be bred together and we plan on selling some of the piglets and keeping some to raise for meat. We manage a small homestead and PB have more purpose on our land than large feeder hogs which require more maintenance.

I know the question "can you eat PB?" has been asked on here before, but my question(s) are does anyone have experience with raising them for meat? From what research I have gathered they have a richer taste but the downside is they can contain ALOT of excess fat if not fed the correct diet. So my other question is what should I feed them to so they have more meat on them? Will traditional hog food suffice, along with fruits and vegitables?
I've never raised hogs myself but I have family that has but being commercial hogs I feel they are mainly fattened up for weight price and not so much caring about fat content.

I LOVE my 2 PB and I would be completely heartbroken if something happened to them, as such they aren't for eating but some of their offspring will be. I also know that if given the wrong diet they will become fat and unhealthy which I do not want either for my babies. Pigs have come to have a huge place in my heart and I only want the best for them wether they are pets or for meat.
Have you looked at the Pot-Bellied Pig Association? I have recipes for pasture based hog feed if that would be of use to you. I'm planning on bringing mule foot hogs to my property, hopefully next year.

I hadn't thought of trying that since in America they are more considered to be pets than food, but I do still have 2 as pets so I will give the association a try.
The recipies would be helpful if you don't mind, we free range our 2 pigs we have right now and have them a pen built under lots of acorn and walnut trees for when we start raising meat, the 2 we have now spend minimal time locked in there coming and going as they please. Right now we mainly use it for putting them up at night and while we are gone from the homestead.

What is your reasoning for getting mule foot hogs?

Swine 2000 LBS
Use 3/8 screen in hammermill
All Grains Ground lbs
Non-GMO Corn 1235
Non-GMO Whole Roasted Soybeans 300
Non-GMO Oats 400
Swine Supplement 60
D.E 5
Total 2000
Bag 40
Crude Protein 15%
Crude Fat 4%
Crude Fiber 6%

I can tell you that potbelly pigs would need more fiber and fewer concentrates that are found in regular pig feed. In their native land they forage for food.

Lot of pot belly crosses here, pb/mule foot, pb/guinea hog pb/etc, not everyone wants a huge hard to deal with pig.
And all those out there who want to rehome chickens and are afraid of those that just want to eat them... same with pot belly pigs, ...
They taste like pork....

I can tell you that potbelly pigs would need more fiber and fewer concentrates that are found in regular pig feed. In their native land they forage for food.

Thats good to know! Our pigs free range most of the day and we have 7 acres, most of it wooded with lots of acorn and walnut trees they like to scavange in most of the day

I hadn't thought of trying that since in America they are more considered to be pets than food, but I do still have 2 as pets so I will give the association a try.
The recipies would be helpful if you don't mind, we free range our 2 pigs we have right now and have them a pen built under lots of acorn and walnut trees for when we start raising meat, the 2 we have now spend minimal time locked in there coming and going as they please. Right now we mainly use it for putting them up at night and while we are gone from the homestead.

What is your reasoning for getting mule foot hogs?
Ultimately, my terrain drove the decision and their ability to forage. I also like the tamworth--but for my initial purposes the mule foot and I seem to the right fit. I also consider the breeds status with the conservancy. Critical get's more favor than threatened and so on...

AKA potbelly pigs.

I raise asian heritage hogs for meat and some for pets but do not push that. The present group pushing these pigs want them for pets and are trying to block butchering of them. Is there an organization supporting the asian heritage hog as a dual purpose bred. Please contact me for further discussion.

What on earth do people think potbellies were raised for in their native land? I will give them a clue. They were not raised because they were cute. They were raised to put meat on the table. The same can be said for pygmy goats. Here they are pets. Where they came from they are dinner. For many years I lived near Merced California. A lot of Vietnamese were settled in the area after the war. I still remember the looks of absolute disbelief and consternation on the faces of these southeast Asians as they saw those potbelly pigs being paraded around the fairgrounds in pink velveteen harnesses and leashes. That said, because potbellies forage for their dinner, they would need a diet much higher in fiber and less concentrated than our regular meat hogs.

Back
Top Bottom