Raising a blind chick

OneMountainAcres

Smothered in Feathers
11 Years
May 14, 2013
Central, PA
Has anyone had any success with raising a blind chick? Any advice you could share? Little Hershey is a black copper Maran and just over a week old now. Looking at her, you'd never know she was blind. She has two perfectly formed eyes and looks just like all the other chicks. About 4 days after hatch, I was checking on everyone since I had a droopy bantam (who has bounced back now) and noticed her, just sort of hiding in the corner looking droopy. I just figured she hadn't attempted to eat or drink yet so I dipped her break in the water. She was so excited to get a drink! I watched her get a few sips, stumble a step back then completely miss the water... several times. I helped her back up to it and she continued to drink for a minute but now she had my attention. She was walking a little strangely, like she wasn't sure what she was doing and found her way back to the heat plate. I pulled her back out and did some tests, moving my hands on front of her face and eyes and got absolutely no reaction. I knew I had to get her to eat so I led her to the food dish and tried dipping her face in it but she wasn't figuring it out. I put a few pieces of food between my fingers and kinda put my fingers on either side of her break and she did open her mouth a couple times. Once a piece of food got in, she realized what was going on so she got a few bites that way. I tried dipping her break a few more times but I had to go to work so I helped get back under the heat plate and left. When I got home though, guess who was at the food dish, eating :) It's amazing to watch her. She'll walk up to the food dish and feel it with her chest, she'll feel for a hole, then she'll just sit there and chow down. Then she'll walk cautiously over to the water, feel it then drink. She's doing great now and she's super sweet. I'll try to get some pictures of her later on today. I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to successfully raise her up. She can't stay in the brooder forever and she'll never be able to free range like everyone else. Maybe my husband will approve a house chicken..... lol

Has anyone had any success with raising a blind chick? Any advice you could share? Little Hershey is a black copper Maran and just over a week old now. Looking at her, you'd never know she was blind. She has two perfectly formed eyes and looks just like all the other chicks. About 4 days after hatch, I was checking on everyone since I had a droopy bantam (who has bounced back now) and noticed her, just sort of hiding in the corner looking droopy. I just figured she hadn't attempted to eat or drink yet so I dipped her break in the water. She was so excited to get a drink! I watched her get a few sips, stumble a step back then completely miss the water... several times. I helped her back up to it and she continued to drink for a minute but now she had my attention. She was walking a little strangely, like she wasn't sure what she was doing and found her way back to the heat plate. I pulled her back out and did some tests, moving my hands on front of her face and eyes and got absolutely no reaction. I knew I had to get her to eat so I led her to the food dish and tried dipping her face in it but she wasn't figuring it out. I put a few pieces of food between my fingers and kinda put my fingers on either side of her break and she did open her mouth a couple times. Once a piece of food got in, she realized what was going on so she got a few bites that way. I tried dipping her break a few more times but I had to go to work so I helped get back under the heat plate and left. When I got home though, guess who was at the food dish, eating :) It's amazing to watch her. She'll walk up to the food dish and feel it with her chest, she'll feel for a hole, then she'll just sit there and chow down. Then she'll walk cautiously over to the water, feel it then drink. She's doing great now and she's super sweet. I'll try to get some pictures of her later on today. I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to successfully raise her up. She can't stay in the brooder forever and she'll never be able to free range like everyone else. Maybe my husband will approve a house chicken..... lol
I have seen several live a happy and productive life. They are amazingly adaptable and will figure out how to do the things they need in their own unique ways.

Hershey is thriving! We've discovered that she can see or sense bright light. She tends to gravitate towards the window when it's bright and sunny out and sometimes looks like she's trying to peck at invisible things floating through the air when in bright light so she must see little spots. She got VERY excited when I used the flash to take her picture and came running!

20230419_093541.jpg
20230419_093552.jpg
20230419_093712.jpg

Attachments

• 20230419_093541.jpg
    20230419_093541.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230419_093552.jpg
    20230419_093552.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230419_093712.jpg
    20230419_093712.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 6
How sweet she is learning! I hope you can raise her and all goes well! What an amazing story!

Hershey is thriving! We've discovered that she can see or sense bright light. She tends to gravitate towards the window when it's bright and sunny out and sometimes looks like she's trying to peck at invisible things floating through the air when in bright light so she must see little spots. She got VERY excited when I used the flash to take her picture and came running!

View attachment 3473484View attachment 3473485View attachment 3473486
She is beautiful good for her!!!!

Back
Top Bottom