Rain Rain GO AWAY!!

Sunshine Hen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Stamford, CT
This isn't chicken related, but... My mom and I spent 2 hours yesterday and this morning picking up all the important things from our basement, which is flooded with 6 inches of water. UGG!! Sooo many things are ruined!! And of course this happened on the week that my dad and brother aren't here! :mad: Someone is getting two pumps to get the water out. Is anyone else flooded due to rain?? I'm soo unhappy.
hit.gif

Tons of rain here, but just a little water in basement. The coop had a bit of wet shavings but the chickens are doing fine.

Sunshine Hen, I don't know what I would do with 6 inches of water! I hope you can get it out quickly. At least the rain is looking like it's easing off. C'mon SUN! I need to get the garden going!

Snow, rain, slush, wind, no power, trees down! I have had it! My animals have had it!
Sunshine Hen - I hope you didn't lose anything too precious in your flood. Good luck...

Same story here. Lots of wet YUCK!!
barnie.gif
Yard was already saturated before this storm came along. :thun Now it's a true swamp. I feel like I could load up our boat with our chickens and sail on down to Florida.
cool.png

Sorry about your basement and all, but where I am from we've been in drouth for the last few years. We didn't have any snow all winter long, the end of March we finally got some moisture. Thank God! You will never hear me complain about getting flooded or being too muddy here. I didn't mop my floor for Easter dinner because of all the mud we had, and now that it warmed up and it's dried up I can mop. I'd take rain everyday if it came that way but I am happy with what the Lord's provided for us. We have about 600 head of cattle that we had to buy hay for last fall and this spring. Our pastures are so grazed down that you can see the dirt, this is why you will not hear me complain if my basement gets flooded or if it rains or snows. Sorry, but had to tell you guys why I don't complain about the moisture!

Quote:
Wow- 600 head...I was having to buy hay for my 4 horses last year due to drought and boy did that get expensive! Hay was like gold there for awhile. Here, in S.Texas, drought is more the norm than not, so we are accustomed to it. It rained for about a week straight like 2 weeks ago and I thought I would go insane not being able to work outside. Mud??? What's that??!!??

Glad you finally got some of the wet stuff, chickenranchwife. Hope your pastures recover, I know i've got my fingers crossed for mine.

We didn't get as much in the cellar as we expected, but the storm's not over yet either...:mad:
That's a bummer, Sunshine..That happened to us the first Christmas we were in our house...all the gifts were in the cellar and we lost power, so no sump pump, no shop vac, just a mop and a bucket.

hay is still gold here in north east texas.i was sure dreading giving $80 a bale for hay.but we got lucky an didnt run out.now the cows are in belly deep in grass an fat an sassy.im going to 2 cattle sales may 19th an 20th.an i figure cows will be higher than the devil there.but ill swallow hard an buy some.

Jimagination and all, The basement flooded last night. We moved all the stuff up but the dog crate we were using for the newbies was soaked. We moved them to a large cat carrier and into the guest bedroom. 6 chicks, food, water and a nice big towel. After a night with the sump pump in hyperdrive and wearing out the shop vac this a.m. we put all dry shavings in the dog crate and put it in the dining room. When we put the chicks back in they were sooooo happy to be able to stretch their wings and really move around. We are supposed to have rain through Thurs. so they will not be going back to the basement. Despite all efforts there is still 2" of water down there! The temp. in the big girl coop is only 40 with a heat lamp and very drafty so the newbies can't go there yet. We are having wind gusts up to 35 mph... I actually like having them closer by, but Hubby who was quite fine with them in the basement is trying to look unhappy about them being in the dining room. Trying, but not quite making it. He melts when he sees me with a lap full on the couch and our son sitting next to me with his lap full. :thun
lau.gif
Where are your chicks now?
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom