Racoons eating my duck food but not my ducks?

Scovyfive

Chirping
Sep 19, 2020
So last fall I found I have 3 racoons living under the trailer across the street from us. I had the surprise of seeing them cross the road to their home early one morning.
I talked to my neighbor who owns the place (but no one lives there) and he is a big softy when it comes to racoons and doesn't want to kill or trap them. Honestly I'm not sure I'm up to such a task.
Because I have a lot of respect for and he is my neighbor I left them alone.
He told me they would only go for eggs and attack a mama if she was in the way. And he said they only come out at night.
I've never had any issues with these coons and until the snow fell and I saw their tracks I wasn't even sure they were still around.
I double secured my duck coop and I make sure they are locked up by dark.

Yesterday my son spotted one in middle of the day climbing down the neighbor's fence. And now I'm wondering... For two days in a row my ducks have been extra hungry when I feed them their second meal and for two days in a row when I went to feed them their dinner their food dish was empty. My ducks never empty their dish. I feed my ducks fermented wet feed, and all the ground shell and sludge goes to the bottom. Every morning I dump and clean this out, it's usually a good 1/4" thick. But the last two days the dish has been cleaned.
This morning I fed the ducks close to the house and let them out of their run since I can't see their run from my windows. They acted like they did not want to leave their coop.
So my question, is it possible or likely that a coon would climb over the fence into the duck run, eat their food and leave the birds themselves alone?
Other than locking my ducks up or putting food out for both them and the coon is their a good deterrent?
I'm afraid if I just bring the food in the coon will go after the ducks.
They've left my ducks alone so far and until the last couple days have not eaten their food.

Any suggestions. I really don't even want to go down the rabbit hole of trying to trap or kill these critters.
On top of which my neighbor who lives right behind me who has chickens whose yard the coons frequent has set traps multiple times and not caught them.

Just for fun here is my new dog going through some duck desensitization. She's outside quite a bit, I'm hoping she will help be a coon deterrent.
And yes, please forgive the dirty ducks. Tomorrow it's finally going to be above freezing and everyone is getting a bath.
20220203_155150.jpg

The dog is absolutely a deterrent, her being outside more will help to keep the coons away.
Regarding the food: Raccoons are opportunistic, and muscovys are not very easy prey.
That's great! I'm hoping so!
She's such a good dog too. I've only had her around the ducks for a week and she is already settling down with them well. When they came for her bone she just picked it up and moved away 😁

If you are seeing racoons during the day, that is a bad sign. When racoons come out at during the day, it can potentially mean they are sick or getting desperate. Racoons can be very vicious animals and very smart too. They will definitely kill ducks.

Dogs can be a deterrent, but if they are not trained to protect the flock, the animals can realize they are not a threat. Depending on how desperate the racoons are or if they are sick, they may be daring enough to go after the ducks anyway. Dogs can also be injured by racoons as well, but mostly occur if your dog corners or chases the racoons. Since you are seeing them during the day, this would be a big red flag for me. Your best bet is too keep them in a predator proof run and keep them out of the duck food so they won't come back for more food.

Yes, a big boar can mess up a dog that doesn't have experience with dealing with predators. My dog tangled with his first coon (25 lb boar.) at 9 months old. He was OK, but he is a multi generation farm dog so he has everything going for him (and it helps he weighed 80 pounds at the time.) I would be very cautious about you dog around a coon.

If you are seeing racoons during the day, that is a bad sign. When racoons come out at during the day, it can potentially mean they are sick or getting desperate. Racoons can be very vicious animals and very smart too. They will definitely kill ducks.

Dogs can be a deterrent, but if they are not trained to protect the flock, the animals can realize they are not a threat. Depending on how desperate the racoons are or if they are sick, they may be daring enough to go after the ducks anyway. Dogs can also be injured by racoons as well, but mostly occur if your dog corners or chases the racoons. Since you are seeing them during the day, this would be a big red flag for me. Your best bet is too keep them in a predator proof run and keep them out of the duck food so they won't come back for more food.
Just wanted to mention, the 'daytime raccoon' thing is a myth. Raccoons actually come out a lot during the day, especially mothers with young, young raccoons and foraging raccoons.

They eat a lot of other foods besides people food/garbage like everyone thinks. During the day they like to wander around and forage for nuts, berries, carrion, whatever they can find.

Seeing them during the day does not indicate sickness. Unless you're seeing them acting disoriented, drooling, stumbling or overall scruffy/unkept looking then it's likely just a raccoon out looking for food or teaching it's young to forage. But a good rule of thumb is to always leave wildlife alone regardless.

Raccoons are pretty easy to trap with a live trap and cat food. They love cat food. My father-in-law is a farmer and traps due to field damage. In the right season he traps at least one or two per day.
I wouldn't trust the idea that they will continue to leave your ducks alone.

Back
Top Bottom