Rabbit Making Poor Nest, Help?

TheLukeMeister

Songster
May 18, 2015
Hi,
my pregnant rabbit Tribble, is 33 days pregnant and this is her first liter. She is making a nest, but she decided not to use the nest box, instead she dug a hole and is now making a nest in it. The only problem is that the hole is only a couple inches deep, and I'm afraid the kits will crawl out of the nest and get a chill or not get fed. So my question is, when she is done and has delivered the kits, can I put them in a nest box in the same place? I also have another doe that just gave birth, so if I have to I can give the kits to her.

With most does, you can move kits into a box, no problem.

I'm a bit concerned that she is 33 days along. 31-32 days is the typical delivery date; does that go past that frequently give birth to one or two very large, dead babies. Hopefully, that isn't the case here.

I was going to say something about that but forgot. It's now day 34 now and she still hasn't delivered and I'm kind of worried. I felt her belly this morning and their was no kit stuck, and yesterday I was lightly feeling her belly and I felt her belly go from soft to just a bit of pressure. I thought maybe those are contractions, if so how long til the babies? And I also have some lavender to help induce labor if I needed to. What do you think?

Good news! My rabbit just gave birth to 2 kits and she still has more in her womb. And yet another question, how much longer can she keep those other kits in her womb? I accidentally opened the hutch while she was giving birth and I think she stopped giving birth because of that. How much longer til the other kits arrive?

Back
Top Bottom