Questions Please from a newbie

Athena116699

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
I have 2 week old chicks...wondering if one turns out to be a wyandotte roo, a friend said it was, and my others are rir and comet and orpington would the eggs/babies be half wyandotte with all of them? and if a large egg layer has an egg by a bird that lays smaller eggs will it hurt her, like a large male dog with a smaller dog? Sorry for asking two questions at once but my golden comet seems to be growing a comb already...would that mean it might be a roo? and my buff orpington is a lot bigger then the rest..normal?..and they are all the same age...any information? Thank you

I can only help with one question, but orpingtons are really big, so I'd say it's normal. Just like a doberman puppy is going to be larger than a chihuahua puppy of the same age.

2 weeks is early to tell much of anything gender wise with the breeds you have.
Gatsbysmum makes good point about larger breed being larger chicks.

Chicken mating is not like dogs as rooster doesn't have a penis.
A large fowl rooster might hurt a bantam hen by mating her just because of his weight and size when he climbs on her back...but with your breeds(all large fowl, I assume) it shouldn't be a problem.

As to their offspring and resultant egg size, again all large fowl birds, shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure about a bantam hen being fertilized by a LF rooster if her female offspring would produce an egg too big to lay....interesting question, will have to do some research tho I don't have bantams, I am curious.

I'm guessing that the size egg any pullet lays will be directly related to HER size, not to the size of her mother/father. Just my guess. If your Wyandotte is a roo, he will produce chicks that will have the rose comb like his. You should end up with some nice chicks. How many birds total in your flock? Enjoy.

I have 6 so far, 2 RIR, 2 Wyandotte, 1 Golden Comet and 1 Buff Orpington....so if the roo happens to be the wyandotte..and he has chicks by any other they will look half like him and half like the other...just curious. Then they will be just chickens...what are they then...mixed...?

I'm guessing that the size egg any pullet lays will be directly related to HER size, not to the size of her mother/father. Just my guess. If your Wyandotte is a roo, he will produce chicks that will have the rose comb like his. You should end up with some nice chicks. How many birds total in your flock? Enjoy.

That's kinda what I thought....or I would have seen something about it here somewhere.
I have 6 so far, 2 RIR, 2 Wyandotte, 1 Golden Comet and 1 Buff Orpington....so if the roo happens to be the wyandotte..and he has chicks by any other they will look half like him and half like the other...just curious. Then they will be just chickens...what are they then...mixed...?

Yep, just mutts.....ALOT of backyard/hatchery chickens are mixed.....hard to say what they would look like, they might have a few features from either parent.

Back
Top Bottom