Questions for tudy

Tudy, is there any defining features to look for a rooster in a 4 week old silver laced wyandotte?
It can be difficult to determine the sex of a Silver Laced Wyandotte at only 4 weeks of age because both male and female chicks can look very similar at this stage. However, there are some subtle differences between males and females that can help you make an educated guess:

- Feather development: Males tend to develop feathers on their wings faster than females, so if you notice that some chicks are growing longer or more pointed feathers on their wings, they may be males.

- Behavior: Roosters tend to be more assertive and dominant towards the other chicks while pullets (young hens) tend to be more passive and social.

- Combs and Wattles: Roosters will have more prominent and noticeable combs and wattles compared to females even from a young age, so if you notice any differences in size or color, you may have a male chick.

However, keep in mind that these characteristics are not always reliable, and it can take several weeks or even months before you can positively identify the sex of your chicks.

It can be difficult to determine the sex of a Silver Laced Wyandotte at only 4 weeks of age because both male and female chicks can look very similar at this stage. However, there are some subtle differences between males and females that can help you make an educated guess:

- Feather development: Males tend to develop feathers on their wings faster than females, so if you notice that some chicks are growing longer or more pointed feathers on their wings, they may be males.

- Behavior: Roosters tend to be more assertive and dominant towards the other chicks while pullets (young hens) tend to be more passive and social.

- Combs and Wattles: Roosters will have more prominent and noticeable combs and wattles compared to females even from a young age, so if you notice any differences in size or color, you may have a male chick.

However, keep in mind that these characteristics are not always reliable, and it can take several weeks or even months before you can positively identify the sex of your chicks.
Tudy, do i have to supervise my free range chickens if they have a fenced in yard?

Tudy, do i have to supervise my free range chickens if they have a fenced in yard?
Even if your chickens have a fenced-in yard, it is still important to supervise them from time to time to ensure their safety and well-being. A fenced-in yard can provide a degree of protection against predators like dogs, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, and even hawks. However, it is important to remember that predators can be quite sneaky and determined, and they can often find ways to get through or over fences.

Additionally, chickens can still get into trouble even in a fenced-in yard. They may eat something that is harmful to them, such as poisonous plants, or they may get stuck in a tight space or tangled up in wire fencing. Therefore, it is a good idea to check regularly on your chickens, especially during the daytime when they are more active and vulnerable to predators.

Supervising your chickens does not mean that you need to be with them all the time, but rather that you should periodically check in on them and make sure they are safe and healthy. While free-ranging your chickens can be a great way to provide them with exercise and fresh air, it is important to do so responsibly and with their safety in mind.

Even if your chickens have a fenced-in yard, it is still important to supervise them from time to time to ensure their safety and well-being. A fenced-in yard can provide a degree of protection against predators like dogs, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, and even hawks. However, it is important to remember that predators can be quite sneaky and determined, and they can often find ways to get through or over fences.

Additionally, chickens can still get into trouble even in a fenced-in yard. They may eat something that is harmful to them, such as poisonous plants, or they may get stuck in a tight space or tangled up in wire fencing. Therefore, it is a good idea to check regularly on your chickens, especially during the daytime when they are more active and vulnerable to predators.

Supervising your chickens does not mean that you need to be with them all the time, but rather that you should periodically check in on them and make sure they are safe and healthy. While free-ranging your chickens can be a great way to provide them with exercise and fresh air, it is important to do so responsibly and with their safety in mind.
Thanks! Tudy, is 28 hens enough fir 3 roosters?

Thanks! Tudy, is 28 hens enough fir 3 roosters?
The appropriate ratio of hens to roosters can depend on a variety of factors, including the size of your coop and run, the breed and temperament of your chickens, and your specific goals for keeping a rooster.

As a general rule of thumb, a ratio of 8-10 hens per rooster is often recommended. With 28 hens, you could potentially keep two or three roosters without any issues, as long as they are compatible with each other and not excessively aggressive towards the hens.

However, it is important to keep in mind that keeping multiple roosters can potentially lead to increased aggression between the roosters as they compete for dominance and mating opportunities. In addition, excessive crowing can potentially become a nuisance for you and your neighbors.

Ultimately, the decision of how many roosters to keep should be based on careful considerations of your specific needs and circumstances. If you are already experiencing issues with aggression, noise, or other concerns with your roosters, it may be necessary to re-evaluate your flock management strategies.

Hello @TudyBOT

My hen has recently been treated for Ascitite by draining.

She is a bantam Leghorn, 3 years old, she has stopped laying.

She is eating well, and seems to be recovering but she has developed an odd symptom.

She is drinking much more water than normal and she has very watery shit that comes out like a faucet.

She does not seem to be in any pain.

My questions are:
1) what is the origin of the liquid that accumulates in the body cavity when a hen has ascitite?
2) can the liquid of ascitite be excreted through the bowels of a hen?
3) will this situation resolve itself and will her poo normalize?
4) can I do anything to treat this?
5) can it be related to an infection or a parasite?

Thank you Tudybot, I am worried about my hen.

Hello @TudyBOT

My hen has recently been treated for Ascitite by draining.

She is a bantam Leghorn, 3 years old, she has stopped laying.

She is eating well, and seems to be recovering but she has developed an odd symptom.

She is drinking much more water than normal and she has very watery shit that comes out like a faucet.

She does not seem to be in any pain.

My questions are:
1) what is the origin of the liquid that accumulates in the body cavity when a hen has ascitite?
2) can the liquid of ascitite be excreted through the bowels of a hen?
3) will this situation resolve itself and will her poo normalize?
4) can I do anything to treat this?
5) can it be related to an infection or a parasite?

Thank you Tudybot, I am worried about my hen.
Hello! I'm sorry to hear that your chicken is experiencing health issues. Ascites is a condition that can cause fluid to accumulate in the abdominal cavity, which can be caused by a variety of underlying health problems such as liver disease, heart disease, and reproductive disorders.

To answer your questions:

1) The fluid that accumulates in the abdominal cavity of hens with ascites is typically a transudate, which is a fluid that leaks from blood vessels due to changes in pressure.

2) It is not typical for the fluid from ascites to be excreted through the bowels of a hen. However, if the underlying condition causing ascites is an infection or another gastrointestinal problem, it is possible for the fluid to mix with stool and cause diarrhea.

3) It is possible for the hen's poo to normalize once the underlying cause of ascites is addressed. However, the excess water intake and watery stool should be monitored and addressed as necessary.

4) Depending on the cause of the ascites, there may be treatments available to address the underlying health problem and reduce fluid buildup. This may include medication or surgical intervention. It is important to consult with a veterinarian who can diagnose the underlying condition and recommend appropriate treatment.

5) Ascites can sometimes be related to an underlying infection, parasite, or other health problem. A veterinarian can run diagnostic tests to determine the root cause of the problem, so appropriate treatment measures can be put in place.

Overall, it is essential to have your chicken evaluated by a veterinarian as soon as possible to determine the cause of these symptoms and provide appropriate treatment.

Hello! I'm sorry to hear that your chicken is experiencing health issues. Ascites is a condition that can cause fluid to accumulate in the abdominal cavity, which can be caused by a variety of underlying health problems such as liver disease, heart disease, and reproductive disorders.

To answer your questions:

1) The fluid that accumulates in the abdominal cavity of hens with ascites is typically a transudate, which is a fluid that leaks from blood vessels due to changes in pressure.

2) It is not typical for the fluid from ascites to be excreted through the bowels of a hen. However, if the underlying condition causing ascites is an infection or another gastrointestinal problem, it is possible for the fluid to mix with stool and cause diarrhea.

3) It is possible for the hen's poo to normalize once the underlying cause of ascites is addressed. However, the excess water intake and watery stool should be monitored and addressed as necessary.

4) Depending on the cause of the ascites, there may be treatments available to address the underlying health problem and reduce fluid buildup. This may include medication or surgical intervention. It is important to consult with a veterinarian who can diagnose the underlying condition and recommend appropriate treatment.

5) Ascites can sometimes be related to an underlying infection, parasite, or other health problem. A veterinarian can run diagnostic tests to determine the root cause of the problem, so appropriate treatment measures can be put in place.

Overall, it is essential to have your chicken evaluated by a veterinarian as soon as possible to determine the cause of these symptoms and provide appropriate treatment.
Hello @TudyBOT thank you for your detailed and well informed answer.

Are there any ways to help clear up a gastrointestinal infection in a hen such as adding apple cider vinegar in her water or other home remedy that would not require a prescription from a veterinarian?

Hello @TudyBOT thank you for your detailed and well informed answer.

Are there any ways to help clear up a gastrointestinal infection in a hen such as adding apple cider vinegar in her water or other home remedy that would not require a prescription from a veterinarian?
There are some home remedies that can be used to support the health of chickens and potentially help with minor gastrointestinal issues. One such remedy is adding apple cider vinegar (ACV) to their drinking water. ACV has natural antimicrobial properties that can help to promote a healthy gut environment and support the immune system.

To use ACV, you can add about one tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar per gallon of fresh drinking water. However, it is important to gradually introduce ACV to your chickens' water, starting with small amounts and monitoring their reactions. Too much ACV can have negative effects on your chickens' health, including damaging the lining of their digestive tract.

Other home remedies you can try include adding natural probiotics to their diet, such as plain yogurt or kefir, and offering fresh or dried herbs like oregano or thyme, which have natural antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.

However, it is important to keep in mind that these remedies are not a substitute for professional veterinary care. If your hen is showing signs of a gastrointestinal infection or other health issue, it is important to consult with a veterinarian who has experience working with poultry. A veterinarian will be able to provide a proper diagnosis and recommend appropriate treatment options to help your hen recover.

Back
Top Bottom