Questions about hatching Old English Game Bantams

Yard Farmer

🇺🇸 John 8:36 🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
Jan 5, 2022
The Wild West!
Hello, happy Sunday!
So, my OEGB hatching eggs are going to be hatching in the next few days. But, there's a catch. My date to hatch is based off of hatching standards.
My question is, do Old English chicks hatch sooner than standard's since their smaller? Or is it the same time frame?

Thanks in advance!

Hello, happy Sunday!
So, my OEGB hatching eggs are going to be hatching in the next few days. But, there's a catch. My date to hatch is based off of hatching standards.
My question is, do Old English chicks hatch sooner than standard's since their smaller? Or is it the same time frame?

Thanks in advance!
In my experience they only hatch maybe half a day earlier than large fowl eggs.
If you have them hatch on day 18 and 19 you have your incubator too hot.

Again that is only my experience... not a hard and fast rule

Hello, happy Sunday!

Thanks in advance!
They'll most likely hatching at day 21 like all other chickens. It's not very often I get eggs that hatch sooner then day 21.

My OEGBs would always hatch on day 19, even when set with other breeds' eggs that hatched at 21, so it's not a temperature issue in my experience. My hen's eggs were super tiny, though, so maybe that makes a difference. Less mass for the heat to penetrate through, perhaps?

Anyway, in your shoes, I'd just get everything ready for chicks by day 19 even if they don't come until day 21. Chick feed doesn't spoil if it's put out a couple days before the chicks arrive and an extra few days with your brooder heater running won't hurt anything, either.

Back
Top Bottom