Question

Cackel

Songster
11 Years
Nov 17, 2008
what is a candler and do I need one if I am hatching eggs ? also where to buy them ?

make one out of a bright flashlight. you use them when the eggs are in your incubator to see the progress of the egg and to see the veins and maturity of the growing chick

WHAT ? HOW ?
ep.gif

The small LED flashlights work great. When I let the students candle the eggs at school, that is what we use. Wal Mart, K Mart ,sporting good and auto stores carry them for under ten dollars.

It is like a small flashlite and I bought mine at McMurry Hatchery online here for about $10.95 and it works great I go in to dark room at about the 7 day after set and the 14 day and 18 if want but any way the 7 day go into dark room like I use my guest bathroom and plug in and turn off lites and hold the lite on top to the big part of egg with the smallest part down and hold it there and you should be able to see it fertile if is and moving. It is so neat..I didn't know anything about it either up to couple weeks ago and now I feel like on top of the world..It is worth having and then you know if your eggs are fertile...like I held on to some on a secong batch got going and I had 6 infertile so on the 10th day I finally threw them out..I am so new to this but learn fast..good luck and I would get one or make one. You can use a bright flash lite and a box and put hole in it to make one but I love my candler and worth the money.

Quote:

Go to the Learning Center, here on BYC. There are links to great sites with candling photos & directions to make a stationary candler. I found that my DH's maglite is a pretty good candler.

Back
Top Bottom