Question on Coop Space and Runs

Trodore

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2015
Hello,

I have 8 hens and 1 rooster currently in a coop and run system. They get a few hours Monday - Friday to run free and pretty much all weekend, but with winter coming they will be locked up more and more. My coop is 3ft off the ground and is 4 ft by 8 ft by 4 ft. I have an 8ft. by 10ft by 7ft. run attached, this includes the 3 ft clearence under the coop. When they are in the run and coop they stay out of the coop until the sun is going down and I don't have fighting. My question is do they have enough space to get them through winter in the coop and run.

IF THERE IS NO FIGHTING THEN YOU ARE FINE. You are at the limits according to accepted guidelines. Your raised coop is at a low volume level being only 4 feet tall. During winter there may be some issues when they stay inside all day. Some days , your chickens will be going in the run during winter . All weather permitting. Another thing to consider is your ventilation. With 9 birds, there is plenty of humidity as well as ammonia from droppings. If overcrowding does occur, you will know it by the behavior exhibited.

WISHING YOU BEST...
thumbsup.gif

Thank you all. I can give them double the run space if it is best. I plan to cover about 4 ft of the run as well with Plastic. I plan to keep about 6" to a 1ft open around the top for ventilantion. This should give them a snow and draft free run as well as the coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom