question about the little giant auto waterer with the red bowl

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
The type with the valve. How fast is it supposed to fill? We got our system going and are still adjusting so it's not in with the chickens yet. It takes a long time to fill but when I push on the valve, water does come out. More than a drip but less than a stream. But when it's filling, it's like a heavy drip. Do I need to take the valve out and do something to it? I know about turning the nuts to adjust the water level. At one point it was getting too full so I adjusted it for a lower level and it overflowed. But when I readjusted it it didn't overflow so I don't know what that was all about. We got this system for when we go on vacation so dh's brother can refill more easily from outside the coop.

We use a LG 2550 to water about 250 birds and an LGD out on pasture. It is gravity fed from a 55 gallon drum filled with water.

You might consider removing the small brass filter screen to improve the flow rate. We removed ours because it kept plugging up and slowing down the flow rate.

ok thanks. I finally got it set right (long story short-I was messing something up and figured it out) and it takes about 10 minutes to fill with the bucket half full. From what I saw on a video at Murray McMurray, it's about right for a gravity feed system. I'll be sure to check the filter but taking it out wouldn't cause a problem with the valve later?

I'll be sure to check the filter but taking it out wouldn't cause a problem with the valve later?
Don't know. I just got tired of it plugging up every other day. It's been a couple months now without the screen and no problems.

We had to replace the gasket and screen because dh tightened the thing so hard that they were both all mashed. Well it's leaking now in that spot so I called and they said to use plumber's tape. I'm guessing if I have a problem with the screen clogging I will have to buy a lot of plumber's tape. But with our well water I hate to take the chance of the valve getting dirt in it. I'll try it with the screen and see but if I have to remove it over and over I'm taking it out.

Looks like it was all for nothing. It was working fine when we were testing it but today, with the temps at 105, the water wouldn't come out. Twice dh went to check it and the bowl was almost completely empty but the supply bucket was full. The first time he took off the bowl and the valve was fine so I don't know what the problem was. When he put the bowl back on the bowl filled up. Later he checked and it was completely dry again. So I guess we spent the $$ for nothing and will have to find another solution for vacation. :(

Sorry to hear that. Perhaps there is some grit in the brass stem preventing the bowl from raising when empty. One time I a problem with my bowl going dry, and it was because the needle valve plunger was no longer centered in the valve stem. There is a small guide notch in the center that the needle is to rest in.

Last edited:
It may be grit but the problem is that if we can't rely on it for even one day, we definitely can't count on it to work for 2 weeks. We've decided to just put two large water dishes in the coop right at the door and his brother can fill them each every day without having to go inside the run. Not the best solution since it'll get a lot dirtier and he probably won't bother to clean them out but it's probably our best and easiest option. And it does have a replacement valve-the first one broke somehow.

Back
Top Bottom