Question about shipped ducklings that came in today - no traction in box?

Want Less

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
New Bern, NC
We received a shipment of 11 ducklings this morning that were shipped from Metzer Farms in CA to NC. I picked them up from the post office before they opened, and immediately checked the ducklings to make sure everyone looked OK while I was there. I was surprised when I opened the box.

They were shipped in a regular chick shipping box, however all that was in there with them was a big handful of loose hay... which had all been smashed up around the sides of the box, leaving the ducklings standing on a bare, slick cardboard floor for the last 2 days that they've been in transit.

The ducklings seemed warm enough thank goodness (crazy enough it is 70 degrees here right now) but one baby is completely spraddle legged and has been trampled on a lot because she can not walk at all, and a second one is also having issues, including a minor case of spraddle legs. I've taped the legs so we will see if they recover.

I'm more used to hatcheries using the woven hay mats or something similar in the bottom of their boxes so that the chicks have plenty of traction during the entire journey. I've never personally seen a shipping method void of any traction material.

Thoughts? I'd heard such good things about Metzer that this really surprised me.

Note for photo: When I arrived at the post office, the hay was pushed up much more than this, leaving a bigger bare area that they've been standing on for the last 2 days. I fixed it back flat for the time being, drove 7 miles home, and by the time I got into the house (maybe 20 minutes later), it was as pictured above.

I would give Metzer a call. Ours came from a different hatchery but similarly packed, and we had no leg problems. I like the idea of some kind of mat, though.

If you can get a photo of your leg braces, that would be helpful.

I'd call too. I don't remember for sure but I think when I got mine from them a few years back, there was a decent layer of hay.

As long as you followed proper directions for spraddle leg, they should both recover as long as the one that seemed trampled didn't get injured.

I haven't ordered from Metzer's for a few years and I don't remember how they were packed, but mine all arrived healthy with no problems. I do know when I called to ask a question about the leg bands, they were very helpful.

I got 2 ducklings from Metzer's about a year and a half ago. They were on hay like the stuff in your photo; however, there was a nice layer of it and the ducks weren't standing on the cardboard. I'm guessing they just didn't put enough hay in the box. I agree that you should call them, if for no other reason than to remind them to not let it happen to someone else!

Back
Top Bottom