Question about my rabbit nest box

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
So I am getting ready to give my doe a nest box tomorrow. I have a wooden one from tsc. Typical shape. It is solid backed and bottomed. My question is, should i drill holes in the bottom and/or back of the nest? Should I remove the bottom entirely and replace with wire? This is the box. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/rabbit nest box? My rabbits are kept in my chicken barn, the current temp range is about 40-65.

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Solid bottom should be fine - cleaning will likely be needed after the kits have moved out, but thick bedding can help keep it cleaner.

That nest box looks pretty small to me - is yours larger? Or do you have small rabbits?

Solid bottom should be fine - cleaning will likely be needed after the kits have moved out, but thick bedding can help keep it cleaner.

That nest box looks pretty small to me - is yours larger? Or do you have small rabbits?
OMG you are totally right. How did I miss that!?!?!? :he:he💩 I have a larger metal one on order right now from KW cages but I don't think it's going to get here in time. This wooden one was the only one available locally. I messed up! My rabbit is a NZ, around 10 lbs. Do you think this will be sufficient for this one time? What might I be able to use as a substitute?

OMG you are totally right. How did I miss that!?!?!? :he:he💩 I have a larger metal one on order right now from KW cages but I don't think it's going to get here in time. This wooden one was the only one available locally. I messed up! My rabbit is a NZ, around 10 lbs. Do you think this will be sufficient for this one time? What might I be able to use as a substitute?
I used large, roomy nestboxes for my NZs and Silver Foxes, and would be concerned about possible crushing of kits in a smaller one. Can a you build one? If not, you could try something like a plastic tote (shallow), but my does preferred the classic nestboxes.

I used large, roomy nestboxes for my NZs and Silver Foxes, and would be concerned about possible crushing of kits in a smaller one. Can a you build one? If not, you could try something like a plastic tote (shallow), but my does preferred the classic nestboxes.
Yeah, I think I am going to run to Home Depot in the morning and build one real quick. Found an instructable to make it out of (1) 1"x10"x8'. Appreciate your help

Sorry I'm late to the party. I used a folded up puppy pad in the box under the straw, and changed them out as needed. My nest boxes were just dish tubs, but I used dog kennels for cages, so with the help of a couple lengths of 1x2 lumber and a 1x12 cut to the width of the kennel, I had a shelf above the nest box where mom could hide when the little buggers were old enough to leave the nest and pester her non stop for dinner.

Do you have babies yet?

Hey everyone. I had a lot of company here this past weekend and have had no time to post. Maple had 10 healthy babies! They were born the morning of the 24th. Thus far they are all living and seem well fed. She is doing such a good job I couldn't be prouder! I will get some pics tomorrow. :bun

Back
Top Bottom