Quail hen fertility?

Huntmaster

Free Ranging
May 2, 2021
North West Ohio
Can anyone answer if quail hens still lay fertile eggs for any length of time after breeding and rooster removed. I know turkeys and other poultry can and do for up to 3 to 4 weeks. Just looking for info on quail I'm assuming they can but that's just an assumption and would like to know for sure. I'm know I can find out by incubating eggs but didn't want to waste my time if someone knew.

They can still lay fertile eggs for up to two weeks after the male is removed.
Thank you I assumed they were like most poultry but wasn't sure. I have a rooster that isn't the kindest to his lady's nothing to bad, but I'm about to start collecting eggs for incubation and was going to remove him to give the hens a break and I wanted to still collect eggs from him.

Just placed 50 eggs in incubator Sunday evening wanting to get a few hatches in on the quail before ducks start laying. Then in March the turkeys will start laying so incubators will be running from now through June.
Holy moly! What incubator do you use? I was thinking of getting one of the fully automatic Brinsea EX ones, but it's kind of an investment considering we no longer have any males 🤦 I do want to get an Australorp roo and breed a couple of my girls, but probably not until we move to a bigger place. :/

I have a like 5 different tabletop models, Little Giant, Farm Innovators and a homemade cabinet that I use for larger hatches. As long as they hold consistent temps, and you use calibrated thermometers and hygrometers you will get very good hatches.

I was thinking of getting one of the fully automatic Brinsea EX ones, but it's kind of an investment considering we no longer have any males
I have not used the nature right 360 but have seen many on BYC that love them for doing small hatches. My neighbor bought one and he never hatched before and just took a little of my advice and had very good luck with it. Sounds like for the price and not doing a lot of hatching it would be a good investment.

Back
Top Bottom