Puncture wound??

Laylashens

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2019
Charlottesville, VA
Yesterday my 6yo BO, who is normally very active and vibrant, was looking off. I gave her an exam today and it appears she has a teardrop-shaped scab and bloody feathers on her underside that’s about an inch or two in diameter. I don’t know what caused the puncture- it doesn’t look like it’s from a predator, the only thing I can think of is she somehow got impaled on a branch or something. The scab is a bit stinky too so it might be infected. I’ve had a chicken with a 7-inch-in-diameter dog bite open wound that recovered after we gave her penicillin g injections and topical antibiotics for a week or so. However, this wound isn’t necessarily ‘open’—the scab seems pretty thick and I don’t know how deep it is. How should I treat this? Do I dissolve the scab and if so how? What else can I do to make her as comfy as possible?

Yesterday my 6yo BO, who is normally very active and vibrant, was looking off. I gave her an exam today and it appears she has a teardrop-shaped scab and bloody feathers on her underside that’s about an inch or two in diameter. I don’t know what caused the puncture- it doesn’t look like it’s from a predator, the only thing I can think of is she somehow got impaled on a branch or something. The scab is a bit stinky too so it might be infected. I’ve had a chicken with a 7-inch-in-diameter dog bite open wound that recovered after we gave her penicillin g injections and topical antibiotics for a week or so. However, this wound isn’t necessarily ‘open’—the scab seems pretty thick and I don’t know how deep it is. How should I treat this? Do I dissolve the scab and if so how? What else can I do to make her as comfy as possible?
I would put hydrogen peroxide, but only once, because it is said that it can hurt healthy tissue. Also lavender essential oil speeds up healing, but you have to dilute it so that it doesn't sting.
These are just my go-to "herbal" remedies because I live far away from the city and I don't have much access to antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom