Pullets vs cockerels - 5 week old barnyard mix EEs, also feather color question

Manningjw

Crowing
11 Years
Oct 5, 2011
Shoreline, Washington
I have 8 mix breed chicks that I would like your input on whether or not they are what I suspect they are. I have included the ones that I am quite confident in their gender just for comparison. Hens are White Leghorn and Red Star, rooster was a mix breed of Blue Am/WLeghorn/Australorp - basically an EE.

#1 is too blurry to see, but I think it's a Roo and I have questions about his feather color in post #2. Numbered 1-8 in the order they appear in the pictures.

The color of the numbers represents what i suspect for gender blue = likely boy, pink = girl, purple = the ones I am not confident in their gender.

Last edited:
Now back to #1's feather coloring. His mother was a Red Star, his father was the mix I was discussing, BlueAm/White Leghorn/Australorp primarily. I was curious if anyone might know what his odd feathering will turn out like as he gets fully feathered in as an adult? His appearance is different than any other chick I have hatched this far from the Red Star mix before.

Below is the Rooster and the Red Star is the hen.

2,3, and 7 look like cockerels, and #1 might be a cockerel, too. EEs/EE mixes can be very difficult to sex.
Yeah, those 4 are what I think are "for sure" cockerels, the only one I was questioning slightly was #1 because his face isn't as red, but his comb is quite large for a pea comb. The only for sure pullet I saw was #6, I suspected 1 more being pullet but the other two I am really questioning.

Thanks everyone for you input! Any ideas on what feathering I will see from #1 as he grows out?

Still would really love everyone's input on what kind of feather pattern this is I am seeing. This young cockerel has a feather pattern completely different from either of his parents. Does it look Mottled? Wondering if it was something recessive in both parents like Mottling that was finally expressed. This guy looks different from all other chicks I have hatched from similar mixes. Another interesting thing about him - he doesn't have long tail feathers like all 7 of his other siblings do. I noticed the mother hen chased him a bit more than the others as she was getting over raising them but he doesn't have any long ones so I don't know that feather plucking would be the culprit or not.

The rooster is pictured above, the hen was the Red Star also pictured above.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom