Pullet grower vs layer pellets

WyandotteH

Songster
Jul 23, 2018
NSW Australia
Hi All

Simple question I have introduced some 12-14 week old pullets in with my layers. My question is how harmful is laying pellets to the new pullets of 2 week age ??

Thanks for your help

If there 2 weeks old, they should be on starter feed. Now thinking that is a typo at 12 weeks they should still be on starter grower till their 18 weeks at least. When I put new girls to my flock they all get grower till the youngsters are 18 weeks old then they get both. I feed wet layer in the morning and they have a feeder of dry 20% grower in the run also. I also provide oyster shell and grit.

I'm misunderstanding something... did you add 2 week old chicks?

The difference between layer and grower (or ANY other confusing term on the label) is protein and calcium levels, MAINLY.

Too little protein in still growing birds can delay their development. Too much calcium, fed long term to non laying birds *can* (doesn't mean will) cause gout or kidney failure.

I personally never feed layer as it's usual 16% protein is the bare minimum for light bodies layers like leghorn, while dual purpose breed like Wyandotte, Orpington, Rock, Marans, Reds, and other will do best with about 18% protein.

Since I always have different ages and genders in my flock including molting and brooding hens and chicks... I ALWAYS feed Purina Flock Raiser with 20% protein and 1% ish calcium... and provide oyster shell free choice for active layers on the side.

Some people will put a 12 week old pullet on the layer... and may never see or notice health issues... It wouldn't be my choice. Instead I would choose to put all layer on the higher protein feed... feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids... And most birds will actually see condition improvement when switching to a little more protein than "layer". And 22% protein was shown to give the highest hatch rate... which to me says better nutrition in the eggs my family is consuming. :pop

If there 2 weeks old, they should be on starter feed. Now thinking that is a typo at 12 weeks they should still be on starter grower till their 18 weeks at least. When I put new girls to my flock they all get grower till the youngsters are 18 weeks old then they get both. I feed wet layer in the morning and they have a feeder of dry 20% grower in the run also. I also provide oyster shell and grit.
Yes apologies typo 12 weeks it was supposed to read thanks

Back
Top Bottom