protein too high?

I feed mine 24% for 8 to 12 weeks till they join the main flock, then drop them to 20% for cost reasons, rest of their lives. Perfectly fine for them.

Runny poops tend to increase as water consumption increases in response to higher temps. A hen laying when in summer can easily triple or more it's winter water intake. Sudden diet changes can cause brief watery droppings as well. Some feeds, like watermelon are diuretics as well - not that it guarantees watery poops but it doesn't prevent them either.

And yes watermelon can be a good summer treat, particularly when offered cold. Water, sugar, fiber, some good salts, some decent vitamins - but mostly water.

I feed mine 24% for 8 to 12 weeks till they join the main flock, then drop them to 20% for cost reasons, rest of their lives. Perfectly fine for them.

Runny poops tend to increase as water consumption increases in response to higher temps. A hen laying when in summer can easily triple or more it's winter water intake. Sudden diet changes can cause brief watery droppings as well. Some feeds, like watermelon are diuretics as well - not that it guarantees watery poops but it doesn't prevent them either.

And yes watermelon can be a good summer treat, particularly when offered cold. Water, sugar, fiber, some good salts, some decent vitamins - but mostly water.
thank you! i love giving them fruits and greens especially since it’s warming up here in Cali. i want them to be as healthy and happy as possible since they aren’t raised in a big pasture.

Back
Top Bottom