Protein in Chicken Feed...An Observation!

I am reading a little book by the nutritionist for the Fertrell Company, Jeff Mattocks I think he is. Really interesting. Like most scientists, he is pretty unemotional about sources—he likes roasted soybeans, believes some animal protein is desirable—but condemns some big business practices. Such as calculating minimums in feed and then using anything as filler.

Okay, I tried searching... found a link then lost it..... Someone here has a - I think - Google.doc spreadsheet of chicken feed with protein & other details listed with great detail....

[Edit because I just fou d the spreadsheet link in the thread]

I'm gonna try to cut-n-paste below:
Kiki's link is in post #3

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/animal-protein-chicken-feed.1297102/
I have the link to my sheet below in my signature.
If you cannot see the 'signatures' turn your phone sideways and they will show up.

I'm on my second flock (17) of chickens, and I still feel like such a neophyte. With as much as I've read (more opinions, less scientific) on optimal protein content for laying hens, I'm still confused. Up until recently I fed straight purina layena (16% protein), but I've started mixing it 50/50 with flock raiser (20% protein) and offering supplemental calcium. As this is a new flock, I cannot detect any differences in response to feed change. I'm not sure if this is a good change or not, as I've read different opinions on whether 16% is enough protein for laying hens.

I'm on my second flock (17) of chickens, and I still feel like such a neophyte. With as much as I've read (more opinions, less scientific) on optimal protein content for laying hens, I'm still confused. Up until recently I fed straight purina layena (16% protein), but I've started mixing it 50/50 with flock raiser (20% protein) and offering supplemental calcium. As this is a new flock, I cannot detect any differences in response to feed change. I'm not sure if this is a good change or not, as I've read different opinions on whether 16% is enough protein for laying hens.
My opinion is 16% Protein layers feed is enough Protein for laying Pullets and Hens, if that's all you feed them.

From all the posts I've read over the years, in addition to a complete feed, many backyard chicken owners, myself included, give their Chickens low Protein snacks like Scratch Grains or Cracked/Whole Corn, and or kitchen scraps. Lots of low Protein there.
Some give mealworms or meat scraps from the table to balance it out, I don't.

So when I switched my first Flock from a 18% Protein feed to 16% layers feed at a year old, 3 of my 5 Golden Comets started to feather pick after a couple of weeks.
It got so bad I bought Pinless Peepers and switched back to a 18% feed. After 3 weeks on the higher Protein I was able to remove the Pinless Peepers.

So if you limit low Protein treats or balance with high Protein treats like mealworms or meat scraps from the table. 16% feed should fill the bill/beak.

I still have two Golden Comets from my first Flock, 44 months and five Barred Rocks 16 months in my second Flock. My Barred Rocks never had less than a 18% feed.
I feed them either a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser Crumble 18/20% Protein, whichever is fresher or available when I'm at TSC. I also offer them Oyster Shells separately.
I've fed a 18% layers feed too. But I have a retired hen and 4 hens molting.
My Comets and Rocks free ranging. 20191019_172203_resized.jpg 20191019_172223_resized.jpg . GC

The commercial poultry which are the largest customers of poultry feed is not interested in optimum protein. They are only interested in the lowest protein levels that will produce the maximum profit level for the fewest dollars imvested. These customers that purchase feed by multiple rail car loads drive the market research.

Contrary to your statements there is considerable research on poultry nutrition related to protein. Google 'poultry essential amino acids, methionine, cysteine, lysine and choline chloride etc." There's enough reading on these topics that will.keep you busy for months.

After reading about these topics the observation you will make is 'Not all protein is equal. Some protein sources are better than other sources. '

Why, oh why do I have a feeling that this is akin to the book title, "Give a mouse a cookie"??? (Snickers a little)
/Prepares to do some googling....

For typical backyard poultry keeping there probably isnt a bad feed. It can be made bad by owners and owners can create dietary problems for themselves by supplementing with excessive low protein treats.

Different people have different goals. I raise heritage large fowl cornish. These are meat birds through and through. There is not a cost efficient commercial feed available that will produce these results or maintain the muscle and bone on these birds.
20190926_183750.jpg

I feed 22% lay pellets pumped up with animal protein, calf manna pellets, wheat germ oil and Red Cell vitamin supplements. My protein content is between 30-35%.depending on the time of year and if i add fish meal to the ration.

If i wasn't raising this particular breed and have them in competitive exhibition; if I had chickens for egg production only I would be just be feeding the 21% lay pellets year round only because that is the lowest pellet protein content available.

Back
Top Bottom