Protein in Chicken Feed...An Observation!

Chef JimmyJ

Songster
5 Years
Oct 17, 2015
The Mountains of EMPORIUM, PA
Researching Chicken feed and the recommended Nutritional needs of Chickens, the Percentage of Protein is the most discussed and highly debated. In every thread one or more members will advise, " You must feed Chicks X percent Protein. From 8 to 16 Weeks old, you must feed Y percent Protein. For 20 weeks and up, feed Z percent Protein." Many times there is no Explanation just Numbers you should follow.
So the inevitable, WHY is asked and you get everything from," That what the Commercial Feed Manufacturers spent $,$$$,$$$ to determine was best. " To, " The Guy I got my Chickens from said to feed this..." It seems not even the Commercial Guys can agree! One companies Chicken Starter is 20% Protein and the next 24%, with a third company at 18%. The folks feeding 18% will warn the folks feeding 24%, that It's Too Much Protein and the Chicks will get Liver Damage! Or with older birds, too much protein will cause Gout. Just when you read it all and determine what Diminishing percentages of Protein you are gonna feed your flock over the next year...The ALL FLOCK folks chime in! " I don't mess with all that BS, I been feeding a straight 20% All Flock, from day one until death or Freezer Camp! "
We know the MINIMUM Protein each age group needs as this truly was extensively researched by Commercial Growers and Feed Companies. But Honestly, is there an Agricultural University study on, How much Protein is Too Much? There must be but I'm having a hard time finding it.There is plenty of repeating what was read in another thread or off site.
Along these lines of how much is too much, With the exception of Winter Feed that you decide upon...
Unless you keep your Chickens locked up in the Coop and/or Run, all Spring, Summer and Fall...
The Percentage of PROTEIN you feed, becomes less critical.
Chickens that get to Free Range, for more than a few minutes, or those in Tractors, are Stuffing themselves on every HIGH PROTEIN, Insect, Grub, Worm, Slug, Frog, Snake, and Mouse they can catch. If one Chicken Scores a Juicy Morsel, She better swallow fast or the ensuing chase and fight can make Men's Hockey look like a Little Girls Tea Party! Short of a bad days hunt, add in the shear assortment of High Protein, Grasses, Legumes, Weeds, Seeds, Clover, Dandelion and other Flowers, and the average Chickens DAILY Protein intake can soar to what? 30-40-50% or More! If consuming more than 24% Protein is Deadly...How is it Free Range and Tractor Raised Chickens are even Alive? The Percentage Protein Mash, Crumbles or Pellets that are to be had back in the Coop or Run becomes less important.
If the feed chosen is of good quality and provides the remaining Essential Nutrients, pick the Protein level YOU are comfortable feeding and enjoy the Chickens.
We ALL were Newbies here once. We came to Learn from those that now have the knowledge and experience to Teach. There is tons of enthusiasm mixed with shear Terror that we are doing things wrong and what's best for our new birds.
BYC can be the Greatest source of learning on the Net...IF...You offer Friendly Advice with why you chose what you do and leave all the, Arguing to the Other Chicken Sites...JJ

Researching Chicken feed and the recommended Nutritional needs of Chickens, the Percentage of Protein is the most discussed and highly debated. In every thread one or more members will advise, " You must feed Chicks X percent Protein. From 8 to 16 Weeks old, you must feed Y percent Protein. For 20 weeks and up, feed Z percent Protein." Many times there is no Explanation just Numbers you should follow.
So the inevitable, WHY is asked and you get everything from," That what the Commercial Feed Manufacturers spent $,$$$,$$$ to determine was best. " To, " The Guy I got my Chickens from said to feed this..." It seems not even the Commercial Guys can agree! One companies Chicken Starter is 20% Protein and the next 24%, with a third company at 18%. The folks feeding 18% will warn the folks feeding 24%, that It's Too Much Protein and the Chicks will get Liver Damage! Or with older birds, too much protein will cause Gout. Just when you read it all and determine what Diminishing percentages of Protein you are gonna feed your flock over the next year...The ALL FLOCK folks chime in! " I don't mess with all that BS, I been feeding a straight 20% All Flock, from day one until death or Freezer Camp! "
We know the MINIMUM Protein each age group needs as this truly was extensively researched by Commercial Growers and Feed Companies. But Honestly, is there an Agricultural University study on, How much Protein is Too Much? There must be but I'm having a hard time finding it.There is plenty of repeating what was read in another thread or off site.
Along these lines of how much is too much, With the exception of Winter Feed that you decide upon...
Unless you keep your Chickens locked up in the Coop and/or Run, all Spring, Summer and Fall...
The Percentage of PROTEIN you feed, becomes less critical.
Chickens that get to Free Range, for more than a few minutes, or those in Tractors, are Stuffing themselves on every HIGH PROTEIN, Insect, Grub, Worm, Slug, Frog, Snake, and Mouse they can catch. If one Chicken Scores a Juicy Morsel, She better swallow fast or the ensuing chase and fight can make Men's Hockey look like a Little Girls Tea Party! Short of a bad days hunt, add in the shear assortment of High Protein, Grasses, Legumes, Weeds, Seeds, Clover, Dandelion and other Flowers, and the average Chickens DAILY Protein intake can soar to what? 30-40-50% or More! If consuming more than 24% Protein is Deadly...How is it Free Range and Tractor Raised Chickens are even Alive? The Percentage Protein Mash, Crumbles or Pellets that are to be had back in the Coop or Run becomes less important.
If the feed chosen is of good quality and provides the remaining Essential Nutrients, pick the Protein level YOU are comfortable feeding and enjoy the Chickens.
We ALL were Newbies here once. We came to Learn from those that now have the knowledge and experience to Teach. There is tons of enthusiasm mixed with shear Terror that we are doing things wrong and what's best for our new birds.
BYC can be the Greatest source of learning on the Net...IF...You offer Friendly Advice with why you chose what you do and leave all the, Arguing to the Other Chicken Sites...JJ
This indicates that chickens can have up to 70% protein before it causes kidney disease.

http://www.ccbirdclub.com/assets/kidney-disease.pdf

Most worry about the protein levels but the essential nutrients are every bit as important (if not more so) than the protein level.

20190718_120438.jpg
20190718_120438.jpg

Fascinating thread. Fowl running out on FRESH pasture and woods are stuffing themselves with high protein plant and animal matter. I wonder if there's a difference between those protein kinds, and that range, and just loading up pellets with protein from soybeans. Diversity, natural unprocessed sources vs. soybean based and highly processed. On fresh rested range, fowl may need only corn for energy. After that range is hit daily, more and better must be fed.

Chickens are highly flexible in dietary needs. But two constant issues are underfeeding and overfeeding protein. Maintenance needs for chickens not laying are very modest. Layers need more. Breeders more still.

Okay, I tried searching... found a link then lost it..... Someone here has a - I think - Google.doc spreadsheet of chicken feed with protein & other details listed with great detail....

[Edit because I just fou d the spreadsheet link in the thread]

I'm gonna try to cut-n-paste below:
Kiki's link is in post #3

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/animal-protein-chicken-feed.1297102/

The commercial poultry which are the largest customers of poultry feed is not interested in optimum protein. They are only interested in the lowest protein levels that will produce the maximum profit level for the fewest dollars imvested. These customers that purchase feed by multiple rail car loads drive the market research.

Contrary to your statements there is considerable research on poultry nutrition related to protein. Google 'poultry essential amino acids, methionine, cysteine, lysine and choline chloride etc." There's enough reading on these topics that will.keep you busy for months.

After reading about these topics the observation you will make is 'Not all protein is equal. Some protein sources are better than other sources. '

Back
Top Bottom