Proper way to pick up a baby chick?

Chocobo

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I've seen many threads talking about how to pick up a full grown chicken and threads on how to hold a baby chick but I can't seem to find anything on how to actually pick up the baby chicks.
I have (4) two week olds. Two BOs and two Americaunas.
They aren't afraid of me at all and don't seem to mind my hand in the brooder and once I am holding them they are very calm but they somehow can tell when I need to pick them up and catching them freaks them out so I thought that maybe I was picking them up wrong.
I have tried scooping them up from underneath but if they are running then the only way I can think to catch them is to grab them from top on the back and quickly put them in an open hand.
Is there a better way or is this just the way chicks this young are?

I have no idea if there is a proper way to pick up a baby chick? With mine though, I simply reach in, and slide two fingers underneath them between their legs and then their bodies are cupped/supported in the palm of my hand. So far it's working well! They usually just close their eyes and stretch their necks so that the head rests on my wrist. They love being petted and stroked on their backs, necks and heads in this position. I think it helps that afterwards I give them a few mealworms for a treat
smile.png

i usually sort of cup my hands around them from the bottom and then pull them up close to my chest in one motion. I also try to be down close to them when i pick them up, they dislike being picked up from above. I guess i resemble a hawk?

Back
Top Bottom