Prolapsed Vent?

Friendly_Lurker

Free Ranging
Jan 27, 2020
Kansas
4A53E42C-086E-4D26-A7BD-57B487881C74.jpeg

This is a 1 year old BB Red hen. She lives with several other BB Red roosters and hens, plus one disabled full sized hen and a mixed half sized rooster. I just noticed this yesterday; is it prolapsed vent? I don’t think the other birds have noticed it and they’re not pecking at her. Otherwise, she looks fine and hasn’t had any problems before. I also haven’t seen any especially large eggs that might have caused this. Do I need to do something?

I use honey, apply all over the prolapse to keep it moist, it will also help with swelling. Gently push it back in and hold for a few minutes. She may be trying to pass a large egg, or a malformed or soft shelled egg, which can cause it also. Make sure it doesn't get pecked, that will be much worse. If you insert a gloved, lubed finger, 1 -2 inches into the vent, you can see if you feel anything that she may be trying to pass. I usually crate mine til I know what's going on so I can monitor and make sure they aren't injured. If she's trying to pass something, then a calcium citrate +D tablet once a day will help with contractions.

View attachment 2668757
This is a 1 year old BB Red hen. She lives with several other BB Red roosters and hens, plus one disabled full sized hen and a mixed half sized rooster. I just noticed this yesterday; is it prolapsed vent? I don’t think the other birds have noticed it and they’re not pecking at her. Otherwise, she looks fine and hasn’t had any problems before. I also haven’t seen any especially large eggs that might have caused this. Do I need to do something?
She might have just laid an egg and came out of the nest before her vent resettled. So check her again this evening.

I advise against holding chickens by their legs (or wings) as this might cause joint problems.

Back
Top Bottom