Prolapsed rectum?

kimspangrude

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 30, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Miles the Rooster seems to have a prolapsed rectum- or at least that is what it looks like. His vent (what I would consider his rectum where he exudes fecal matter) is red and raw. The fecal matter seems to get hard and compacted. I’ve cleaned it out several times by gently removing the crusted dry feces and making sure he has an unobstructed opening he can defecate from. But the next day it appears the same. Today I cleaned him up and noticed a few drops of fresh bright red blood pooling around the opening, indicating that the blood was local- not intestinal. I’ve applied silver sulfadiazine cream several days in a row to the outside where it is red and raw, and that seems to reduce the rawness for a few days but it eventually returns. He eats pellets and scratch along with the occasional handfuls of meal worm; he and his girls have three acres of grass, dirt and orchard to free range in during the daytime, along with ample water sources. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• B7107DFA-FFA4-4A2D-8D7A-9D5B7BFA838D.jpeg
    B7107DFA-FFA4-4A2D-8D7A-9D5B7BFA838D.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 26
  • B90FDEB3-DFE6-4DBC-AD12-A35A614B7721.jpeg
    B90FDEB3-DFE6-4DBC-AD12-A35A614B7721.jpeg
    501 KB · Views: 9
Do you have the budget for a few lab tests? You need a vet or access to an agricultural lab but you don't necessarily need a chicken vet. You would collect a fresh poop sample and ask for a fecal float test for parasites and then a gram stain for bacteria.

It's possible he has worms or has an intestinal bacterial infection or possibly both. The tests will identify what unwanted guests might be in residence and what they are so treatment can be targeted to the findings.

I also suggest you give him a probiotic every day for a while. This can help set up the right intestinal environment and could correct the poop problem if there are no other issues causing it.

It's also possible the poop issue is originating up high in his crop. If it's a yeast infection, it can be very acidic and account for the corrosion of the tissue around his vent.

How is his appetite? Is he drinking more water than normal for him? Check his crop for fullness and texture. You want a nice little pouch of food about the size of a golf ball and not a ballooning crop of soft spongy texture. An impacted crop might also be an issue if the crop is over full and hard and lumpy.

Most important, check the crop first thing in the morning. If it hasn't emptied completely over night, then the crop may need to be treated which you don't need a vet for.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I do not have the budget for a vet visit. Would it be worthwhile to treat him prophylactically for worms? I can start giving him probiotics right away; his appetite seems normal. His crop is not swollen but I will check first thing in the morning. I was considering coccidiosis as a possible problem, because the woman who gave me Miles said she took him to the vet last year for the same problem. He was treated prophylactically for intestinal infection and she couldn’t remember the name of the treatment. I have the correct antibiotic on hand for coccidiosis.

The treatment for coccidiosis is amprolium (Corid) a thiamine blocker. Sometimes a sulfa antibiotic is given in tandem with the amprolium if corrosion of the intestine is suspected. Could you report to us the name of the med you treated him with before?

You can do a worm treatment with Safeguard to nab any worms present. It can't hurt. You just won't know if what you're doing has a chance of working when you have no clue to what might be going on.

Coconut oil on his irritated vent can help, also.

The antibiotic is Tylan 50 (Tylosin 50 mg per mL). Tylosine is a macrolide antibiotic that is active against certain Gram positive and negative bacteria, esp. different members of the mycoplasma group. http://www.poultrymed.com/Macrolides. I don't know the name of the treatment used before but will be finding out tomorrow. I can apply coconut oil starting tomorrow.

Tylosin is a decent broad spectrum antibiotic. It's usually used in respiratory infections, not intestinal issues as a rule, but it can be. Since your roo was treated with it previously and is now sick again from what appears to be another intestinal infection, I would be inclined to try a sulfa drug this time. You can order it here. https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/fish-sulfa-forte?sku=22156-174

Disclosure: I am not trained in veterinary medicine. I treat my chickens myself, and have learned some of the strong points of various antibiotics. Sulfa is very useful to treat intestinal bacteria where inflammation of the intestinal lining has progressed.

This company is terrific and ships as soon as you place the order.

Meanwhile, it wouldn't hurt to give him a round of Corid. You can get that at Revival but most feed stores also carry it. The dose for liquid Corid is two teaspoons per gallon of water for five days. Wait seven days and treat for another five days to destroy any eggs that managed to hatch.

It's possible he has coccidiosis and it is causing the inflammation of the intestines. The sulfa will treat the bacteria associated with the tissue inflammation. The Corid will get rid of the cocidia parrasites.

When you are picking up the Corid, go to the horse supplies and pick up some Vetericyn wound spray. Use it several times a day directly on his raw butt along with the coconut oil to control bacteria there and to encourage new tissue growth.

I did not treat this rooster before with anything. I'm going to find out tomorrow what he was treated with in the past. I had Tylosin from a previous chicken with a respiratory illness. Above, I wrote: "I was considering coccidiosis as a possible problem, because the woman who gave me Miles said she took him to the vet last year for the same problem. He was treated prophylactically for intestinal infection and she couldn’t remember the name of the treatment."

Sorry about my reading comprehension. My brain is well into its seventh decade, and it fails me from time to time.

It would be reasonable to assume the rooster is having a relapse of what he was treated for before. Treating for cocciciosis is very safe, and the benefits are tremendous if that's the source of his infection. The diarrhea points to an intestinal infection, so an antibiotic is also justified. You can use the Tylan if you want. But I recommend ordering the sulfa to have in case the Tylan doesn't cause him to improve.

Back
Top Bottom