Prolapse or something else?

LRH97

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
Tonight as I was shutting the birds up, I noticed one of my Dark Brahmas had bloody feathers around her rump area. Not very much, but enough to draw my attention. Upon closer inspection, there seemed to be tissue protruding from her vent area. I assumed prolapse and brought her inside and drew her a warm bath. After a thorough cleaning, we then began to examine the area more in-depth. Whatever it is appears to be attached to the outer skin of the vent and doesn't look to be actually protruding from the vent itself, if you look closely. It only takes up the top left edge of the vent. We tried to push it lightly up in towards the vent, but it would not slide in. She's isolated now in the same condition (however cleaner). We didn't want to force anything up there that wasn't supposed to be there. So now I'm doubting prolapse and thinking some sort of growth maybe? Thoughts? Oh and her vent was moving and puckering as normal as well. Her behavior was normal through the day today also. Any input is welcome. Thanks!

That appears to be a growth or cyst on the outside of the vent that might have been pecked. It also could have been caused by pecking. Look for any maggots, since an open wound or where droppings have been stuck, will attract flies which can cause flystrike. If you take any more pictures, make sure there is light on the area. Apply some plain antibiotic ointment to that area daily. Let us know how she gets along

That appears to be a growth or cyst on the outside of the vent that might have been pecked. It also could have been caused by pecking. Look for any maggots, since an open wound or where droppings have been stuck, will attract flies which can cause flystrike. If you take any more pictures, make sure there is light on the area. Apply some plain antibiotic ointment to that area daily. Let us know how she gets along
Thank you for your response! I think you're right. The tissue is very firm as well. I went to check her this morning and let her out in the yard before I let the rest of the flock out for the day. You couldn't tell anything is wrong with her without looking. So I dabbed some Blue Kote on the area that's scabbed over and let her go. I'll be closely monitoring her through the day, needless to say.

Back
Top Bottom