Profitable Cornish Cross Project

All that's well and good - I'm just trying to give the best pointers I can as someone who has also started two different small-scale poultry businesses in two different states in less than ideal conditions.

I live outside a rural town as well, with 300 residents, no grocery store within an hour travel, no stop lights, one gas pump, one restaurant - a pizza place that's only open between June and September, and a seasonal gift shop (i'm not trying to have a competition by stating this, just trying to draw a comparison). People told me I wouldn't be able to sell chickens the way I was doing it because of the exact reasons you just outlined. I say go with your principles every time - which are obviously different than mine, and rightly so.

I know your birds were better taken care of and managed than they would have been in a commercial poultry house, but if the commercial industry was that bad at taking care of chickens, they would not have a monopoly on the chicken industry - they have spent decades perfecting the barn system and know their limits and they are currently changing many of their ways to suit an increasingly more knowledgeable consumer base.

That's awesome that local business is a priority to your customers. Maybe your way of standing out is your localness. To be a face that sells chickens directly to the customer and also the face of the person that feeds and tends the birds is unique on its own.
All that's well and good - I'm just trying to give the best pointers I can as someone who has also started two different small-scale poultry businesses in two different states in less than ideal conditions.

I live outside a rural town as well, with 300 residents, no grocery store within an hour travel, no stop lights, one gas pump, one restaurant - a pizza place that's only open between June and September, and a seasonal gift shop (i'm not trying to have a competition by stating this, just trying to draw a comparison). People told me I wouldn't be able to sell chickens the way I was doing it because of the exact reasons you just outlined. I say go with your principles every time - which are obviously different than mine, and rightly so.

I know your birds were better taken care of and managed than they would have been in a commercial poultry house, but if the commercial industry was that bad at taking care of chickens, they would not have a monopoly on the chicken industry - they have spent decades perfecting the barn system and know their limits and they are currently changing many of their ways to suit an increasingly more knowledgeable consumer base.

That's awesome that local business is a priority to your customers. Maybe your way of standing out is your localness. To be a face that sells chickens directly to the customer and also the face of the person that feeds and tends the birds is unique on its own.

I wasn’t trying to sound condescending or argumentative in the slightest. Sorry if it came off that way. I’m all for trying to be different and marketing using those techniques. I don’t have the physical ability or equipment currently to move a chicken tractor daily and personally I find them unsightly. I do allow my turkeys to graze. I rotate them through a paddocked pasture once a week. I time it so they are grazing about 4 days after my cattle. I find they Spread the manure, eat the bugs, and actively forage very well. My Cornish crosses are too lazy and seem disinterested in doing any of that. I’ve considered red rangers or something similar to rotate through my paddocks, but I worry about decreased feed efficiency, increased feed cost, and additional time it takes to raise them. I have a small hobby farm that I am trying to get going as a side enterprise to my full time job. Once I retire (in 20 years) I would to have my hobby farm to the point where I can make a comfortable living selling produce, livestock, and butchering services. This whole hobby farm just started this winter and is slowly growing. I am trying to scale up in a way that I don’t tire myself out or bite off more than I can chew at this point. I’m young and hungry and greatly appreciate your input. Thank you for sharing.

Lots of great replies on this thread. It has me thinking the past few days. Thank you to all.

Does any one have any ideas on how I might be able to get my cornish crosses to forage more on their own? With my full time job and lifestyle I dont have the time to move a tractor twice a day and personally I'm not a fan of tractors as I think they are unsightly. Not bashign those who use them, its just not for me. The fact that I have multiple back problems also scares me of tugging those around. I'd like to use my existing grow out pens as the coop and then have a run or pasture of grass/clover. I tried to do that with this last batch but the cornish never wanted to go outside. Any ideas on how I could better encourage them to go outside? Would help with increasing the square footage/bird as well as manure density in the pens.

Back
Top Bottom