Premature hatch

Cheyman_coldman

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
Hi so I have a chick that was in the process of hatching but mom abandoned it and the rest of the unhatched eggs. Well it made absolutely no progress in 24 hrs and I noticed maggots all over the poor thing in its shell. The membrane was all dried out and I didn’t know what to do. I helped it hatch. Very gently and slowly and did my best to remove the maggots as they were incredibly small, almost didn’t even notice them. I had to remove the part of the membrane that looked almost like the placenta attached because it was swarmed with maggots.
IMG_7118.jpeg
Well this chick is alive but it looks on the verge of death. We have it kept warm and check it every hour or so to make sure the temperature is right. We change out the paper towel it’s on regularly as it gets gross. I think what I’m asking is now what? How long before it seems like it starts to perk up? Will it even make it? Is there anything that I can do to help it? I’ll keep caring for it to the utmost of my abilities even if it is dying. It is a turken so don’t be alarmed by its ugliness

Attachments

• IMG_7119.jpeg
    IMG_7119.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7120.jpeg
    IMG_7120.jpeg
    467.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7121.jpeg
    IMG_7121.jpeg
    396.5 KB · Views: 6
It should be at 95F. It needs to rest from hatching and that can take hours or even a day.

You mention you're changing the paper towel often because it's gross. Did the maggots make open wounds on it?

If you have electrolytes and vitamins for water, I'd try get it to drink one or the other, then alternate the next day. Clear water should be offered first though.

Back
Top Bottom