Predator-proof latch fitting question

Red Horse

Songster
May 16, 2022
Could any of the handy people of BYC give me an idea of how/what they might use to replace latches like this? I want to use this coop to give my hen and her new chicks a little privacy but my neighborhood raccoons are very educated, and they're just plain going to have a laugh about this as they enjoy their nuggets and my favorite little lady ☹️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240512_210954_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_210954_Samsung Internet.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 23
Could any of the handy people of BYC give me an idea of how/what they might use to replace latches like this? I want to use this coop to give my hen and her new chicks a little privacy but my neighborhood raccoons are very educated, and they're just plain going to have a laugh about this as they enjoy their nuggets and my favorite little lady ☹️
Small hasp type latches with caribeeners siilar to those seen in the following link have been effective for me.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Door-Hardware-Door-Accessories-Hasps/N-5yc1vZc7lj

I have also used double "I" hooks with a caribeaner. ran through the middle to lock them together effectively.

Small hasp type latches with caribeeners siilar to those seen in the following link have been effective for me.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Door-Hardware-Door-Accessories-Hasps/N-5yc1vZc7lj

I have also used double "I" hooks with a caribeaner. ran through the middle to lock them together effectively.
I like those a lot on my other coop... how would I go about drilling through the metal frame to attach the pieces of the latch? I'm pretty sure it can be done but this is new for me.

The raccoons in my area know how to open caribeaners! I live in a small town and a lot of people around me have learned that the hard way. I learned from their experiences and all my latches on the other coop have padlocks to secure them, so I guess it would have to be something like a hasp that I could add a lock to.

Back
Top Bottom