Poultrying...more than just chores.

Beccazon

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan Thumb
I have had my new flock of babies (10 chicks and 3ducklings) now for almost a month. Primarily we have them for eggs and perhaps eventually some meat. Of course they are cute and fun to watch so that is a bonus. I expected to hate doing the "chores". But I don't! Why don't I? I am not overly physically able. Neither is my boyfriend. We are both on disability. I expected to dread cleaning the pan and carrying water and such. But honestly, I absolutely look forward to starting every morning greeting my ladies (and maybe even gents), cleaning the coop, filling feeders, changing water, giving treats, and just generally watching and chatting at my babies! Right now, while we are building the permanent coop and run, the flock is in the back portion of our mudroom. I spend hours in the mudroom each day. The door is open, the sun and fresh air allowed to come in and the smell of fresh pine bedding with a soft hint of chicken farming surrounding me. Each time the boys, we have three of them, ages 1516 and 17 LOL, come through the mud room they have two take a peek at the chickens before coming in the house. The same is my boyfriend and I do! Two of the boys very much enjoy physically interacting with them as well. And will do anything I ask of them pertaining to the flock. Having the chicks and ducklings has spurred on our interest in a small hobby farm. Ultimately we would like goats and to raise one hog and perhaps a cow yearly for the freezer. I was raised with a love for a farm animals but never had more than chickens of our own. I know now that this is what I want and that raising and tending to a hobby farm will not bother me but rather fulfill me.

Back
Top Bottom