Poultry Protector = Dead Birds?

ShannyCupcakes

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 29, 2015
Stratford, Ct
Hi,
Sadly I have two dead chickens...I think from using Poultry Protector. Has anyone else had this happen?
These two had their own coop, next to other birds that are just fine. The only difference is Poultry Protector was used on one house and not the other...
Thanks

R.I.P. Prissy & Aggie

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I have never used the product. Checked it out just now, it claims no harsh chemicals and got 4 stars on amazon.

How long ago did you use it? How did you find your girls? How old were they? Did they die at the same time and how fast did this happen? Did you ever see any signs of illness? Why were they housed separately? And are you positive it wasn't a predator that didn't make it into the second coop? I am just trying to help rule out other possibilities.

Best wishes!

No harsh chemicals, is supposed to be ok sprayed right on birds thats why we bought it. It wasn't sprayed directly on them, it was only misted around the edges of the roost.

-How long ago did you use it?
Less than a week.

-How did you find your girls?
Laying dead in their roost/nesting area.

-How old were they?
Hatched on or around July 14th of last year.

-Did they die at the same time and how fast did this happen?
Found the first dead yesterday morning, second dead this morning...so overnight.

-Did you ever see any signs of illness?
None.

-Why were they housed separately?
I was living elsewhere with my own chicken roost, had to move back home to the farm, so we relocated the roost.

-And are you positive it wasn't a predator that didn't make it into the second coop?
100% sure no critters got into the coop, no signs of 'forced entry' and the whole thing was enclosed, even the bottom. They also had no wounds on their bodies.

It certainly sounds like the spray is suspect. Have you called the company to report the death? Maybe it was a bad batch. They need to know.... I think, if not the FDA?

Presuming you aren't satisfied with their product, they should also be refunding your money. Even though it is no consolation for the loss of you Prissy and Aggie.

So birds were new to the location?
Had they been free ranging with resident birds?
Why were you using poultry protector?

I have been using poultry protector for almost 2 years, I spray my roosting boxes (which have PDZ on them) every month. I started using it since I discovered lice on my chickens and after dusting them with poultry dust I have been applying poultry protector as a preventative. My roosters still get lice every now and then since they don't dust bathe as my hens do.
Poultry protector is made with natural enzymes. I contacted the manufacturer to find out exactly how the enzymes work, I didn't get the complete answer I was looking for but I was told that the enzymes destroy the insect eggs. I have not applied poultry protector directly on the chickens.
Poultry Protector has potassium sorbate .01% which is used in the food industry as a preservative, the rest is water, yeast and citric acid (inert ingredients).
You can contact carefreeenzymes.com (262 878 0995) and tell them of yourr experience.
IMO your hens had some other issues that contributed to their sudden death since I don't think any of the ingredients in poultry protector can cause any harm.

-So birds were new to the location?
They were born in this location, moved, then relocated back.

-Had they been free ranging with resident birds?
No free ranging.

-Why were you using poultry protector?
Mites were discovered in roost while moving it.

Were birds infested with mites on their bodies?
That can kill them....birds bodies need to be examined well after dark,
parting feathers down to skin, for live mites, mites droppings and eggs could be seen on birds anytime.

Can't imagine the poultry protector would kill them...I also don't think it will kill the mites, need permethrin for that.

Back
Top Bottom