post your chicken coop pictures here!

Those are both concerns I had as well. However, I wasn't home when my husband and father were putting up the nesting boxes and my dad insisted they be high enough that I didn't have to bend too much to collect the eggs :confused: He meant well but I did want them lower for the reason you stated so we may end up moving them. And we're looking into options for improving the ventilation. Thank you for the suggestions!

Great,thank you ! I'm getting anxious & excited. We were just getting the nesting boxes set up out in there Coop, modifying a set of drawers that was a frame for a captions bed, it has 3 "boxes, we just have to remove the hardware & put a lip on the bottom. To save floor space I was thinking we'd put them under the Roost & have to poop trays above them(under the roost). But they would probably sit right in the trays & the poop, wouldn't they? So we'd need to put a slanted board over the Nests to keep them off & build a "frame" for the trays to sit in between the boxes & the Roost if that makes sense.
The poop tray goes under the roosts so when they poop at night it lands where you can clean it more easily. You can certainly put the nest boxes directly under the poop tray. If the bottom of the nest boxes is ~ 18" off the floor, the chickens can use that space.

They will poop anywhere they happen to be when they aren't on the roosts, except the nest boxes unless for some reason they are sleeping in them (not a plan you want to have).

Those are both concerns I had as well. However, I wasn't home when my husband and father were putting up the nesting boxes and my dad insisted they be high enough that I didn't have to bend too much to collect the eggs
hu.gif
He meant well but I did want them lower for the reason you stated so we may end up moving them. And we're looking into options for improving the ventilation. Thank you for the suggestions!
As for the nest boxes 18 inches off the floor should work well so they have more room however from the pics looks like you have lots of open floor space so that may not be a concern. Obviously you plan to enter your coop to gather eggs. Many like the idea of having outside access to eggs. I've worked with both approaches and to be honest I like the idea of accessing them from the outside. No matter the approach one takes the important thing is we are all doing our best to provide for our animals.

10x14 shed converted into a chicken coop. Not done yet, but getting there! :weee

Looks awesome!!!! I second terrys concerns though. Are the eves under the roof open? If not you could try that, it might help a lot. Just like cut out the plywood along the whole roof line lol

Those are both concerns I had as well. However, I wasn't home when my husband and father were putting up the nesting boxes and my dad insisted they be high enough that I didn't have to bend too much to collect the eggs :confused: He meant well but I did want them lower for the reason you stated so we may end up moving them. And we're looking into options for improving the ventilation. Thank you for the suggestions!

Is that your daughter? Have her collect them! LOL but seriously I think lowering might be a good idea. Not just because of the potential for them sleeping in them but also because it looks lime as high as they are, they might have difficulty accessing them

i mean, i hope it is a chihuahua.... right?
I don't get many laughs these days, but something about this short exchange about the chihuahua (no offense<grin>) had me in tears I was laughing so hard...matter of fact, I went and woke my wife up to tell her about it...bits and pieces between my laughing spells.

Thanks....I *really* needed that!!!!

Making slow progress lol finally got the coop swept out and vinyl/linoleum put down today

I like how you applied the floor over your baseboards. You pay attention to detail and function. Easier to clean that way.

It's shocking how very messy coops get even from just a very few chickens. You made a good choice covering the baseboards for easy cleanup. The only problem I could foresee in covering the baseboards is it might harbor future parasitic mites or spiders under the linoleum/baseboards. Some people have used some sort of black paint that seals wood floors, baseboards, and walls. If you ever come to the point of having to remove linoleum in the future the sealer black paint over the wood would be a good alternative.

A couple of suggestions if I may. You are going to need more ventilation. Larger openings up close to the roof line in the gable ends where you have the small vent now would be great. I'd also lower those nest boxes so they are well below the level of the roosts to keep them roosting on the roosts and nesting in the nests.

From looking at the pictures, you will likely find that many of the birds are going to roost on the top plates of the walls vs the roost bars or at least try to...

Last edited:
Looks awesome!!!! I second terrys concerns though. Are the eves under the roof open? If not you could try that, it might help a lot. Just like cut out the plywood along the whole roof line lol
Is that your daughter? Have her collect them! LOL but seriously I think lowering might be a good idea. Not just because of the potential for them sleeping in them but also because it looks lime as high as they are, they might have difficulty accessing them

The eves are not open. There's 2 windows and 2 vents. Both doors will stay open all day and I'm hoping that helps. I'm looking into adding more ventilation. And we're lowering the nesting boxes when my husband gets out of work today. That is my daughter and she loves collecting the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom