post your chicken coop pictures here!

Grats on a nice build and welcome to BYC. Couple comments, suggestions. Move the roosts away from the nest boxes and have the highest roost bar ABOVE the level of the nest boxes, else-wise you're going to have birds sleeping and pooping all night in the nest boxes. Second, lessen the angle of the roost bars so there's more horizontal separation between them, else-wise, you're going to have higher pecking order birds pooping from above, down onto lower pecking order birds below them. Third, roost bars for adult large fowl birds should ideally be at least 3" in diameter (A 2x4 with wide side up works), as the birds tend to sit flat footed and rest on their keel bone (chest) to cover their feet with their feathers when cold. Chickens don't "perch" like song birds, they roost. Fourth, make sure that highest roost is at least a foot away from any wall so the birds have room to turn around if they need/want to. Fifth, normal adult large fowl birds can hop with a flap up 2-3 feet relatively easily, but coming down off a high roost, they prefer to fly and their glide path is somewhat less than a 45 degree angle, so make sure you have a minimum of 18" + horizontal distance/space for every 12" of vertical height of the roost once it gets above say 24-30 inches in height. Otherwise, you're going to have chickens with severe headaches every morning from flying head first into the opposing wall. Being in AZ, you need quite a bit more ventilation. It's going to be an oven in there.
thanks for the info i will do some upgrades. I have 7 hens and 5 stick together on the highest perch and the other 2 stay on the low perch on the opposite side. I will switch them to 2x4s. Do i lay them flat or put them on end? I do have a whirlybird and theres ventilation holes every where they werent done when the pics were taken. Thanks for all the help.

Finally the big day the big chicks are outside in the run and coop and they're so happy and love it. My roommate and I finally set them free and had a blast.

We were on a budget so I didn't want to pay for plans. I searched and searched for a design that I liked and then we just winged it. I wasn't planning on painting it but the kids wanted to so I found some leftover paint and let them have at it. I have some fine tuning that I need to do (I have no clue where to put roosts, or how many and I need to make my hen box into individual little cubbies. But the chickens seem to like it as is :D

We were on a budget so I didn't want to pay for plans. I searched and searched for a design that I liked and then we just winged it. I wasn't planning on painting it but the kids wanted to so I found some leftover paint and let them have at it. I have some fine tuning that I need to do (I have no clue where to put roosts, or how many and I need to make my hen box into individual little cubbies. But the chickens seem to like it as is :D

You all did a great job! Your frame/door looks nice and secure.
However, chicken wire can be destroyed by raccoons or other ground predators. You might consider adding some welded wire or hardware mesh about 2 feet up the sides (including the door) and then fanning it out about 18-24 inches at the base like an apron. Scrape away a few inches of dirt, tack it down with 12 inch garden staples, and back fill with dirt or gravel.
Otherwise, I'd say you are good to go! Nice paint job.
big_smile.png

Thank you for the advice! We were going to put another set of lumber on the outside of the chicken wire so it is sandwiched between two pieces of wood. Do you think that would be sufficient? And we have never seen a raccoon around here but we do have a HUGE fox that got one of my ducks a few weeks ago...

Back
Top Bottom