TheDisease21002

Chirping
Jan 17, 2019
UAE, Al Ain
Both of these chicks vents were being pecked on by my other chicks when I was at school, by the time I got home they were both bleeding, one worse than the other. The worse one or the white chick in the images below a vent began swelling. Both chicks released vent fleet and these are they're photos after being washed. I have been giving each acv in their water and yogurt. They are on normal chick starter(un-medicated). Please tell me what is wrong with them and what I can do to help. They both also seem slightly lethargic but not too much.
IMG_20190129_194437.jpg
IMG_20190129_194440.jpg
IMG_20190129_193536.jpg
IMG_20190129_193539.jpg

Your chickens are cannibalizing each other. Vent pecking can permanently damage their vents. How old are they? How much room do they have in their coop?

The worse chicken needs to have her bottom soaked in warm soapy water (use dish washing liquid like Dawn,) or use a handful of Epsom salts dissolved in warm water once a day until it heals. She needs to be inside where it is warm, and dried with a towel and blow dryer until she can go outside. After soaking and drying, apply plain Neosporin Ointment.

Sometimes a hen can have a prolapsed vent and the red tissue can invite pecking. Are either chicken old enough to lay eggs?

I probably would keep the two chickens together in a dog crate until healed. Here is an article to read on vent pecking:
https://articles.extension.org/page...nibalism-in-small-and-backyard-poultry-flocks

Thank you so much for the information, these are 5 week old chicks, like I said, this just suddenly started one day. All the chicks were getting along for a week and then one of them was suddenly being violently pecked on.

You mention they seem slightly lethargic. Are they more alert since you separated them and started addressing the vent problems?

If you can post some photos of the chicks (whole body) along with some of their poop that would be good too.

At this age they are establishing their pecking order, but this points to over crowding, not getting enough protein in the diet, or overheating. Make sure they are getting chick starter grower 18-20% protein as the majority of their diet, and limit any treats which can dilute the protein. They need plenty of room for each to move about, eventually at the minimum 2 square feet per chicken, but 4 square feet is better. The more details about your brooder setup, the more we can help. Take a look at their droppings for runny poop, and if any look sleepy or lethargic, or seem hunched or puffed up, you might want to treat them with Corid for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days.
upload_2019-1-30_11-16-18.jpeg

You mention they seem slightly lethargic. Are they more alert since you separated them and started addressing the vent problems?

If you can post some photos of the chicks (whole body) along with some of their poop that would be good too.
The chicks have been slightly less lethargic since treatment has started. There droppings are are a light brown colout, but have no bubbles, i will send photos soon.
At this age they are establishing their pecking order, but this points to over crowding, not getting enough protein in the diet, or overheating. Make sure they are getting chick starter grower 18-20% protein as the majority of their diet, and limit any treats which can dilute the protein. They need plenty of room for each to move about, eventually at the minimum 2 square feet per chicken, but 4 square feet is better. The more details about your brooder setup, the more we can help. Take a look at their droppings for runny poop, and if any look sleepy or lethargic, or seem hunched or puffed up, you might want to treat them with Corid for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days.
View attachment 1658223
I will see if my local vet has Corid, if they dont are there any alternatives, the chicks do also seem to be a little hunched, i will send photos soon

Where are you located? Corid is available in feed stores in the US, and there is a powder packer version that may cost a little more. In other countries, it is called amprol or amprollium, or Coxoid. Some have to get it from a vet. There also is sulfa antibiotic, such as Albon, sulfadimethoxine, or SMZ-TMP, that can be used for treatment. Less available, is toltrazuril in some countries.

Corid is very safe for use in all chickens, has no side effects or egg withdrawal time.

Where are you located? Corid is available in feed stores in the US, and there is a powder packer version that may cost a little more. In other countries, it is called amprol or amprollium, or Coxoid. Some have to get it from a vet. There also is sulfa antibiotic, such as Albon, sulfadimethoxine, or SMZ-TMP, that can be used for treatment. Less available, is toltrazuril in some countries.

Corid is very safe for use in all chickens, has no side effects or egg withdrawal time.
I'm located in the UAE, there aren't too many chicken vets here, but I'll go see a vet in the morning and check whether they have some Corid or not

You might also check where you buy chicken feed, or a store that deals with livestock. Look for amprollium, which is probably what it will be called there. In the UK many use Coxoid, another brand, but no idea what is available in UAE.

Back
Top Bottom