Possible duck egg support

Boymomnlm

Hatching
May 9, 2024
*I posted this on same site another forum and was directed to here....
Help! My son found 2 eggs on a waters edge about now 18 days ago. No nest no fowl insight. He brought them home so we thought, why not let's try. We have an incubator, adjusted the temperature for ducks, but no way to adjust humidity with our purchased incubator. We did a candle light check at 16 days and I think one has stopped developing (possible ring of death unsure) and the other still has movement. Both eggs have developed hairline cracks. Air sacs seems to be intact but really I am at a loss as to what we are doing. What are the chances the one at least will still develop?

Update: Great support and recommendations from other forum. We have been misting them 2x daily to make sure humidity is good as a recommendation.
We checked back on eggs on day 18. The one egg has a larger dark spot but no veins at all- is this one definitely a loss? Also other seems to be good but movement was at a minimal. (Picture attached) Both of the developing water fowl seems to stay onnone side of the egg, not floating- is the normal. Just looking for guidance and support.

Attachments

• IMG_20240512_191346.jpg
    IMG_20240512_191346.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 15
*I posted this on same site another forum and was directed to here....
Help! My son found 2 eggs on a waters edge about now 18 days ago. No nest no fowl insight. He brought them home so we thought, why not let's try. We have an incubator, adjusted the temperature for ducks, but no way to adjust humidity with our purchased incubator. We did a candle light check at 16 days and I think one has stopped developing (possible ring of death unsure) and the other still has movement. Both eggs have developed hairline cracks. Air sacs seems to be intact but really I am at a loss as to what we are doing. What are the chances the one at least will still develop?

Update: Great support and recommendations from other forum. We have been misting them 2x daily to make sure humidity is good as a recommendation.
We checked back on eggs on day 18. The one egg has a larger dark spot but no veins at all- is this one definitely a loss? Also other seems to be good but movement was at a minimal. (Picture attached) Both of the developing water fowl seems to stay onnone side of the egg, not floating- is the normal. Just looking for guidance and support.
I would keep doing what you are doing and don't give up on them. Depending on what type of ducks these were they can take a while to hatch. I have hatched out a Mallard before that took 31 days and was just fine with a homemade incubator. It took longer because I did not have the correct temperature all of the time but was just fine. Good luck with them hatching.

I would keep doing what you are doing and don't give up on them. Depending on what type of ducks these were they can take a while to hatch. I have hatched out a Mallard before that took 31 days and was just fine with a homemade incubator. It took longer because I did not have the correct temperature all of the time but was just fine. Good luck with them hatching.
Do you think we should keep the one with out visible veins in still?

There was movement and definite growth early on up until our 14 day check. I did notice a floating air bubble when candeling. Here's pictures. I appreciate you taking the time to chat.

Attachments

• 20240512_193258.jpg
    20240512_193258.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240512_193236.jpg
    20240512_193236.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom