Poor people at the fair getting confused by chicken terminology XD

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
Spent all day at my local fair, and here was my favorite moment. I hope it makes you laugh too! :lau

A couple walked up to me and asked, "Is that bird a rooster or chicken?"
I checked the tag on the cage. "This is a rooster. But a chicken can be both a male and female chicken. We call the girls 'hens' and the boys 'roosters.' "
The guy says, "Wait, so a rooster is both a boy and a girl?"
The wife replies, "I think I get it. A rooster is a male and a hen is a female, and they are both chickens. Like how human can mean boy or girl."
"Yep," I said. "If you want to know if a chicken here at the fair is a hen or rooster you can check the tag. If it says "cock" or "cockerel" it is a male, and if it says "hen" or "pullet" it is a female."
The guy: "Okay, so if the cocks and cockerels are the ones who breed, what does the rooster do? Strut around and crow?"
After I explained it again, they left, the girl seeming to understand and the guy still looking confused :lol:

So, for any who may still be confused...
Rooster = any male chicken
Cock = male chicken over a year old
Cockerel = male chicken under a year old
Pullet = female chicken under a year old
Hen = a female chicken over a year old, though it can also just mean a female chicken. (Side note, it can also mean female turkey, guinea fowl, pigeon, and sometimes duck)
Chicken = all of the above :gig

You're more patient than I am.
Especially after a day of similar questions.
I enjoy teaching people about animals! There is a fun spirit in the 4-H barns that you find nowhere else on the fairgrounds.

What were some of the best questions you were asked?

I enjoy teaching people about animals! There is a fun spirit in the 4-H barns that you find nowhere else on the fairgrounds.

What were some of the best questions you were asked?
I haven't done any showing but my coop is next my neighbor's driveway and the previous neighbors loved family reunions and get togethers.
Most of the questions were the usual myths involving chickens. (Why are chickens steeped in strange misinformation?!)
One question was: 'why is your big chicken (my rooster) riding the smaller ones?'
Valid question but the person who asked was pregnant lady with kids.
"The birds and bees, ma'am."

I thought a rooster had to be year old? 🤔
This is correct. Young male birds are not roosters.
Spent all day at my local fair, and here was my favorite moment. I hope it makes you laugh too! :lau

A couple walked up to me and asked, "Is that bird a rooster or chicken?"
I checked the tag on the cage. "This is a rooster. But a chicken can be both a male and female chicken. We call the girls 'hens' and the boys 'roosters.' "
The guy says, "Wait, so a rooster is both a boy and a girl?"
The way you worded that I can see why he asked that question and also why there was some confusion.

Back
Top Bottom