Poop building up on CHICKEN BUTT!

mat2dong

Songster
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Hi everyone, ever since my Rhode Island red started laying eggs she seems to have a problem with pooping on her butt feathers. I've arty gotten that off once but it is building up again. I am thinking of just cutting off the feathers but I would like to get some advice from you guys:)

Can you tell if she is pooping in her nesting box while waiting to lay an egg? I've got one girl that is really, really bad about doing that, and it takes her FOREVER to lay an egg. I check the box to make sure its clean a couple times a day, and do the same to her rear end. Sigh, what a glamorous life! (My husband and I refer to this chore as "butt-patrol"). The quicker you find it the easier it is to get it off. I wouldn't cut the feathers off, just because it is so cold and wet where we live and I figure she needs them.

We have an Buff Orp with persistent poop butt. She is fat, happy and shinny and there are seldom splats under the roost so her poops aren't wet. I suspect that her poops just don't clear her giant chicken butt. I used to just just comb the poop out when it dried but now that it's winter and wet all the time she's a mess and her love of long leisurely dust baths makes it look even nastier than it is so I trimmed her butt some jsut below her vent and out 2" on each side...it's my fist time giving a chicken a feathercut so it looks awful but at least she's clean now.

We have an Buff Orp with persistent poop butt. She is fat,  happy and shinny and there are seldom splats under the roost so her poops aren't wet. I suspect that her poops just don't clear her giant chicken butt. I used to just just comb the poop out when it dried but now that it's winter and wet all the time she's a mess and her love of long leisurely dust baths makes it look even nastier than it is so I trimmed her butt some jsut below her vent and out 2" on each side...it's my fist time giving a chicken a feathercut so it looks awful but at least she's clean now.

Thanks! My girl is not fat, she looks more like an athletic chicken.

Maybe a bath might help? Our chickens get poop on their butts sometimes, it's usually just a little piece and it ends up falling off eventually.

Maybe a bath might help? Our chickens get poop on their butts sometimes, it's usually just a little piece and it ends up falling off eventually.

A bath is definitely in order but I'm trying to prevent it in the future:) I washed this chicken booty already once! LoL!!

I had persistent problems with white poop sticking on my roo's feathers for months. I didn't think it was very important, but came to find out later he had diarrhea from infection in his guts. It cleared up after treatment with some antibiotics.
Only he had the problem. He had it when he arrived (He came from a different place than my hens) & my hens never developed it until their systems later got compromised & then they had problems with it a while but eventually got better.

I gave the roo Sulfadimethoxine two days while treating him for another condition, & found him huddled down in agony in his coop. I think the medicine might have been creating burning sensations on ulcers in his digestive system??? I stopped that med immediately & fed him butttermilk to soothe his inflamed guts. I also gave him shots of Penicillin for 3 days, on the theory that he might have Necrotic Enteritis or something in that vein. His diarrhea promptly cleared up for the first time in many months.

Last edited:
I had persistent problems with white poop sticking on my roo's feathers for months. I didn't think it was very important, but came to find out later he had diarrhea from infection in his guts. It cleared up after treatment with some antibiotics.
Only he had the problem. He had it when he arrived (He came from a different place than my hens) & my hens never developed it until their systems later got compromised & then they had problems with it a while but eventually got better.

I gave the roo Sulfadimethoxine two days while treating him for another condition, & found him huddled down in agony in his coop. I think the medicine might have been creating burning sensations on ulcers in his digestive system??? I stopped that med immediately & fed him butttermilk to soothe his inflamed guts. I also gave him shots of Penicillin for 3 days, on the theory that he might have Necrotic Enteritis or something in that vein. His diarrhea promptly cleared up for the first time in many months.

We just trimmed her little butt feathers and it has worked great:)

Back
Top Bottom