Poison smoke and rats

Jajika

Crowing
16 Years
Dec 24, 2007
Northern California
Has anyone ever used poison smoke to kill rats that live under the coop? I have a large run 75 x 25 x 15. Someone suggested putting smoke bombs under the coop while the chickens are outside the run wandering around the yard for an hour or so before putting them back inside. They suggest that the smoke dissipates quickly and won't be a problem for the girls.

Anyone have experience or advice on whether this scenario is safe?

It doesn’t sound very safe or effective to me. When I had a rat infestation in an old farm coop a few years ago, I bought 2 poison bait stations for rats, and a product called Just One Bite ( bromodialone, which comes in other brand names.) It comes in bars that are locked inside, and I haven’t had any poisonings from other animals eating the poisoned rat. I put them on the outside of the coop in a space the chickens could not get to. It took care of the problem, and I will occasionally replace the baits. Here is a good article about different methods of rat control:
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/rodent-control-7-ways-to-keep-mice-and-rats-out-of-the-coop-3/
https://www.qcsupply.com/230128-mot...MIsMf1mZK-6QIVB7zACh0otweuEAQYAyABEgJISPD_BwE
Here is a video of loading a bait station:

Has anyone ever used poison smoke to kill rats that live under the coop? I have a large run 75 x 25 x 15. Someone suggested putting smoke bombs under the coop while the chickens are outside the run wandering around the yard for an hour or so before putting them back inside. They suggest that the smoke dissipates quickly and won't be a problem for the girls.

Anyone have experience or advice on whether this scenario is safe?
Yes, Sulfur Rat smoke bombs is what we have used several times. Cover all the wholes Except the one your dropping the bomb in, then cover that one after it gets started. But I will say it will take several try’s to get rid of a Rat colony if your lucky. I have come to the conclusion that harassing them frequently is the best deterrent. Good luck

Hi PazzoPollo Thanks for responding. Question - Did you use while the bombs when your chickens around? If not, how long did you wait for it to be safe to them near the coop?

Hi PazzoPollo Thanks for responding. Question - Did you use while the bombs when your chickens around? If not, how long did you wait for it to be safe to them near the coop?
We did it during the day while the rats were sleeping in the wholes and we herded the chickens away from the area but as soon as the smoke dies down we let them back in. The chickens aren’t crazy about the sulfur smell so they didn’t bother the wholes we covered. as a side note we have done this about 4 times this winter. We live near a large corn field and they come in for the chicken feed when there regular supply is gone. its awful to deal with, next place we live we are putting a slab of cement down for our coop to sit on.

It doesn’t sound very safe or effective to me. When I had a rat infestation in an old farm coop a few years ago, I bought 2 poison bait stations for rats, and a product called Just One Bite ( bromodialone, which comes in other brand names.) It comes in bars that are locked inside, and I haven’t had any poisonings from other animals eating the poisoned rat. I put them on the outside of the coop in a space the chickens could not get to. It took care of the problem, and I will occasionally replace the baits. Here is a good article about different methods of rat control:
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/rodent-control-7-ways-to-keep-mice-and-rats-out-of-the-coop-3/
https://www.qcsupply.com/230128-mot...MIsMf1mZK-6QIVB7zACh0otweuEAQYAyABEgJISPD_BwE
Here is a video of loading a bait station:
It’s not unsafe but you are correct in saying it’s not very affective. We were afraid to use any stronger poisons because I’ve seen our chickens eat mice and I was afraid of any kind of chain reaction. I’m glad you posted the video and info on the type of traps you use. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom