Please save me from a culling spree!

psimek

Songster
12 Years
Jul 15, 2007
Is there any way to tell the sex of RIRs instead of just waiting for them to crow or lay? I have one that crowed, and its tail feathers point up. I have another with appx. the same size comb & wattles, but it has tail feathers that curl downwards. That is the one I thought was a rooster. I have a third one that is 6 weeks younger, and has always been more agressive & has a comb twice the size as the other one that is of the same age. Ugh! If I have 3 roosters, I got to make the old switcherooni before school starts! (Although I would keep one) Thank you for any help.

Try this-look at the legs. My RIR cockerel had much thicker tree stumps than his sister with a slightly larger comb and wattles, but the legs gave it away. If you post pics of the ones in question, body shots, not just comb sizes, maybe someone can help you with the sexing.

Last edited:
I've never been able to see hackle/saddle feathers at this age on any of the breeds I have owned, so you may not be able to see those. Maybe you could if you lift up the outer feathers and look at the new ones coming in underneath, but really, try looking at the legs and see if there is a difference. For example, here are the two RIRs I mentioned, brother then sister, at almost six weeks old, I think. Look at the legs.
DCP_6039.jpg

DCP_6038.jpg

Back
Top Bottom