PLEASE HELP!

dalsa

Chirping
Aug 31, 2020
Hello,

My week old duckling pooped 3 times in a row a pasty yellow diarrhoea. He/she than stopped but is now sitting upright, not making any noise or walking and is just making swallowing movements constantly with his/ her mouth. What is wrong and what can i do to help. THANK YOU ALL.

Welcome to BYC!

Could we have some pictures of your setup, and the duckling's stool? A few pictures, or better yet a video of the duckling? Where did you acquire the duckling?

Can we have pictures of the poop. What are you feeding? What bedding? What's your heat set up? Is she eating and drinking?
I forgot to mention that the name is noor. Noor hasnt pooped in ages and I didn’t take any pictures but it was very liquid like. I’ve been giving them mealworm, sweetcorn, peas, chick feed which includes brown rice and shell grit. Sometimes they would eat bread. The bedding is dry straw. They have a heat lamp in their brooder for warmth where they sleep under at night, however yesterday night they didnt sleep under it. Outside temperature is around 22 degrees celsius. Noor is drinking only, not eating. He/she has long period of sitting whilst the others are eating and drinking and would only walk to drink water. Thank you for your response.

Where are you located. If you can, you need to get some proper duckling feed and granite chick grit. Shell grit has too much calcium for the little ones and I'm not sure your diet is healthy. Do you live somewhere you can get some duck, all flock or flock raised crumbles? Is she drinking? Bread and rice don't really have any good nutrients and corn is only sugar pretty much.

Bread should never really be given to ducks especially week old ducklings. Rice can be given, but in very limited quantities and I still would not be feeding rice to a week old ducklings. I don't even give my ducklings anything other than duckling starter until they are at the very least 2-3 weeks old. Both rice and bread will fill them up and then they don't want to eat anything else which leads malnutrition. Can you get duckling starter? Also as someone said above shell grit is a big no for duckling because of the calcium.

Welcome to BYC!

Could we have some pictures of your setup, and the duckling's stool? A few pictures, or better yet a video of the duckling? Where did you acquire the duckling?
Thank you for your concern, my little duckling is doing better, i assumed he/she were cold and so had a little episode of diarrhoea.

Where are you located. If you can, you need to get some proper duckling feed and granite chick grit. Shell grit has too much calcium for the little ones and I'm not sure your diet is healthy. Do you live somewhere you can get some duck, all flock or flock raised crumbles? Is she drinking? Bread and rice don't really have any good nutrients and corn is only sugar pretty much.
I am located in London and i read online that chick feed is enough but thank you for your advice i will try to give a better diet from now on. And yes he/she is drinking, in fact better again.

Bread should never really be given to ducks especially week old ducklings. Rice can be given, but in very limited quantities and I still would not be feeding rice to a week old ducklings. I don't even give my ducklings anything other than duckling starter until they are at the very least 2-3 weeks old. Both rice and bread will fill them up and then they don't want to eat anything else which leads malnutrition. Can you get duckling starter? Also as someone said above shell grit is a big no for duckling because of the calcium.

Thank you for your advice, i will try to give a better diet from now on. I thought their diet was okay because a lot of website says that shell grit is important for them, and that chick feed is enough. I will try find duck food.

Back
Top Bottom