Please help Serbian highflyers leg ripped off by rat

Blu-kote and similar products will not stop infections. He needs to have that wound thoroughly cleaned with betadine and dressed with honey or antibiotic ointment—hopefully it’s not too late and the bone hasn’t become infected.
I’ve seen many one-legged pigeons but as said, that is from a constriction wound with no blood loss and very little chance for infection. A rat bite is another story.

I don’t really understand how you can’t find the wound? His entire leg is ripped off, no? Can you trim feathers back?
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

IMG_3624.JPG
Found it. It seems like his whole entire leg was taken off. I'm going to use the spray we used on the duck (she got attacked by the dog and had a bare back with some deep spots) as that's all we have around and she's been healing up fine since she's had it.

View attachment 1517685 Found it. It seems like his whole entire leg was taken off. I'm going to use the spray we used on the duck (she got attacked by the dog and had a bare back with some deep spots) as that's all we have around and she's been healing up fine since she's had it.
I must say it doesn't look as bad as I thought. Although it's obviously missing its leg. I'm not sure quite how I would proceed from here. Is there any broken bone? If there is that will be a definate source for infection. It does seem to look fairly clean considering how much it must have bled. I had a pigeon get scalped and that was really messy. I used purple spray initially and then I used manuka honey. It cleared up in a matter of days but it took a while for the scab to clear. I'm not sure if that would be good enough to use for this but if the spray you are using seems to be working and he's in no distress then that's good. But I'd still say that it needs to be properly looked at to determine any tissue or bone damage. I do think it will benefit from a stitch or two to seal it up and keep any muck out. I'm not sure if he will be lucky enough to avoid infection but if he is how will his quality of life be?

I must say it doesn't look as bad as I thought.
Sounds like he may make a complete recovery. I would be more concerned how he will make out socially in the flock and whether or not he will be bullied.What quality of life is in store for him. These are the main reasons some fanciers cull that type of bird is my understanding. Where your flock is quite small he may do well. Wishing you and your new amputee all the best.

Last edited:
First off.. pigeons unfortunately lose legs in captivity and the wild, all the time,for many reasons, and they recover fully on own, never even losing their socal status, ability to breed or care soley even for Young. I've seen this professionally and personally (I've never had happen to mine, but had clients neighbors and friends happen a lot). Just pluck the feathers around area carefully at base fast making sure not to cause further damage or hopefully more discomfort (birds deal with pain great fortunately), giving it a drop daily of some luquil poultry vitamin ect supplement, and use cheap triple antibiotic ointment gotten at any store (DO NOT USE *PLUS PAIN* TYPES, ONLY PLAIN ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT.. because some plus pain type meds can be toxic). Feed it chicken layer pellets instead of seed grain legume ect mixes, and you'll see majot improvement in about a week.

I knew a breeder that when he moved all his prized expensive American show rollers lost their legs in transit as they caught their breeder bands on container, ripping them all off.. he just used some sav thate stops bleeding and infection in sport dogs and continued to leave as we're in cage open to elements, and sadly still making money breeding them Many years later, and let's them fly daily.

Back
Top Bottom