PLEASE HELP!! Prolapsed vent!

Yard Farmer

🇺🇸 John 8:36 🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
Jan 5, 2022
The Wild West!
I'm not writing a big, long article.

But my OEGB hen, is prolapsed. I don't know how long she's been like this. But she's been acting pretty normal. At least normal weight I didn't notice till now.
Her abdomen is pretty soft compared to my aunts bird, is that a good thing?
I mainly want to get the gunky stuff away from her vent, so she can poo.

I need help, I have no clue what to do.
I've HELPED my aunt with a prolapse before, but it's a whole new ball game when it's your own bird... 😭

Can anyone help me with a step by step process, to get my girl back to health?

Here's some pics, taken 10 minutes ago.

@Weeg , @picklestheduck , @Tookie , any advice?

P_20230509_100945.jpg
P_20230509_100919.jpg

Get some calcium citrate +D3 with at least 500mg of calcium, give her one tablet once a day. It'll help her pass something she may be having trouble with.
What exactly is that material stuck to her vent? Will it come off? Honestly it looks like lash material to me. 😬 When was her last egg that you know of?
Make sure to keep her vent moist with a cream or honey, also separate her from her flock mates.

Get some calcium citrate +D3 with at least 500mg of calcium, give her one tablet once a day. It'll help her pass something she may be having trouble with.
Ok, great! I'll pick some up today.
What exactly is that material stuck to her vent? Will it come off? Honestly it looks like lash material to me. 😬 When was her last egg that you know of?
I'm not sure what it is, or if it will come off.
What is a lash egg?
She hasn't been laying for over 6 months, ish.
Make sure to keep her vent moist with a cream or honey, also separate her from her flock mates.
Ok, will do.
What else could i use to keep it most?

You need to try to clean the vent so you can then assess the situation. Run a basin of warm water. Add a little dish soap. Soak. To further soften the gunk, use straight dish detergent and rub it into the crust. Let set. Then massage it in and as it dissolves, rinse it away.

Prolapse tissue is healthy pink to dark pink. If you decide she is prolapsed, the cloaca inside out, follow this article I wrote to help treat it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

You need to try to clean the vent so you can then assess the situation. Run a basin of warm water. Add a little dish soap. Soak. To further soften the gunk, use straight dish detergent and rub it into the crust. Let set. Then massage it in and as it dissolves, rinse it away.

Prolapse tissue is healthy pink to dark pink. If you decide she is prolapsed, the cloaca inside out, follow this article I wrote to help treat it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
Thank you!!

I'll do that, then take pictures and post them here.

I'm not sure what it is, or if it will come off.
What is a lash egg?
She hasn't been laying for over 6 months, ish.
Ok, do clean her up as suggested.
It's pus, which means she'd have salpingitis, which is infection and inflammation of the oviduct. It's a reproduction issue.
Hmm, okay.
What else could i use to keep it most?
Can't think of anything else right now. 😅

Back
Top Bottom