Please help my little boy!! 🙏🙏

Yard Farmer

🇺🇸 John 8:36 🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
Jan 5, 2022
The Wild West!
What is wrong with my boy...??

He has been like this for 2 days now, he isn't exited to see me in the morning (he loves trying let out in the morning...) he isn't holding his wings up, there just staging in the ground, and his comb is almost black...

Is there an vitamins I need to give him?

Please help me!!! He is my favorite little boy...😞
P_20220204_151119.jpg

P_20220204_151201.jpg

By the way, he sleeps in the garage so he doesn't get frost bite....with a heat lamp

I'm so sorry about your boy, I'll do the best I can to help along with tagging other members.
By the way, he sleeps in the garage so he doesn't get frost bite....with a heat lamp
I hate to say it, but you must not have enough ventilation in the garage because that looks like frostbite to me. He's already lost one of his tips. Is the coop not warm enough for him? If your coop is well ventilated, draft proof and dry, he should be just fine outside. What are the temps were you are? Also, no heat lamp. Heat lamps pose as a fire hazard, along with allowing your birds to become accustomed to warmer temperatures. This makes it much harder for them to withstand the temps when you take them back outside, maybe that is the issue here.

I'm tempted to say hypothermia, but it seems unlikely if he has been like this for two days. I'm concerned that he's used to the warmth of the garage at night, and then suddenly being outside were its cold is maybe causing a problem?
What do his poops look like? Can chickens get Coccidiosis in winter? Can you feel his abdomen? What does that feel like? Soft, hard, large, squishy, doughy? What about his crop? Is he eating or drinking? What are you feeding?
I'm not entirely sure what the answers to these questions might conclude, but I'm hoping other members will be able to use the info.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous
If I were you, I would setup a dog crate in your house were he can be warm. Try to keep the room about 50 degrees as not to shock him to much with the sudden warm temps. Monitor his food and water intake, his poop, and his behavior. See if being warm help improve his condition.

Last edited:
Yes please provide more information of him. Follow the REST method I’ll post the video here:
R: remove from flock
E: vitamins and electrolytes
S: Scrambled eggs
T: Temperature control
I like this method, though I think it should be-

R- Remove from flock
A- Access
S- Supplement (vitamins, electrolytes)
P- Post on BYC.
:D Good post!

I'm so sorry about your boy, I'll do the best I can to help along with tagging other members.

I hate to say it, but you must not have enough ventilation in the garage because that looks like frostbite to me. He's already lost one of his tips. Is the coop not war enough for him? If your coop is well ventilated, draft proof and dry, he should be just fine outside. What are the temps were you are? Also, no heat lamp. Heat lamps pose as a fire hazard, along with allowing your birds to become accustomed to warmer tmepatures. This makes it much harder for them to withstand the temps when you take them back outside, maybe that is the issue here.

I'm tempted to say hypothermia, but it seems unlikely if he has been like this for two days. I'm concerned that he's used to the warmth of the garage at night, and then suddenly being out outside were its cold is maybe causing a problem?
What do his poops look like? Can chickens get Coccidiosis in winter? Can you feel his abdomen? What does that feel like? Soft, hard, large, squishy, doughy? What about his crop? Is he eating or drinking? What are you feeding?
I'm not entirely sure what the answers to these questions might conclude, but I'm hoping other members will be able to use the info.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous
If I were you, I would setup a dog crate in your house were he can be warm. Try to keep the room about 50 degrees as not to shock him to much with the sudden warm temps. Monitor his food and water intake, his poop, and his behavior. See if being warm help improve his condition.
He lost his spike when he was a chick

We have a 4 car garage plenty of ventilation. I put him and his girl friend in there at night then bring them outside in the morning. They sleep in a dog crate...btw

Last night's low was 14 degrees Fahrenheit.

I don't like using heat lamps, I've had one blow up on me before....the only reason I'm using one now is because I bought the 2 Bb reds. They were so little for his cold it was, so I brought them in the garage

His poops are normal, he is eating and drinking just fine. He was out scratching for crack corn about 2 hours ago

I don't have a place in my house to put him...can just use the lamp?

We need the location where this rooster lives. City, state, country.

We need his age.

We need to know how cold it got right before his change in behavior and anything else that was different from normal.

Diet.

Photo of poop.
I live in America, in the state of Utah

I'm not sure on his age...but he is still young. He doesn't even have spurs yet

It got 14 degrees Fahrenheit that night...

He eats scratch grains and all flock layer pellets. Some times I get them meal worms and kitchen scraps

He lost his spike when he was a chick

We have a 4 car garage plenty of ventilation. I put him and his girl friend in there at night then bring them outside in the morning. They sleep in a dog crate...btw

Last night's low was 14 degrees Fahrenheit.

I don't like using heat lamps, I've had one blow up on me before....the only reason I'm using one now is because I bought the 2 Bb reds. They were so little for his cold it was, so I brought them in the garage

His poops are normal, he is eating and drinking just fine. He was out scratching for crack corn about 2 hours ago

I don't have a place in my house to put him...can just use the lamp?
14 degrees isn't very cold, I would remove the heat lamp. I also have bantams, Serama's acutely and know how you feel. My young boy and his sisters did just fine a couple weeks ago in our cold spike, it got down to -3 in the mornings, between 8-14 degrees during the day, (fahrenheit). I brought mine into the garage (35 degrees) at night because of frostbite. It did have a thermostat, but I think that they don't need the light.
I get being concerned about them though, they're so tiny and fragile. :D
Thats good, active and eating.
Do you have a place you can put him just for a few hours to watch him? I have a very small house, but had to bring my pet Cornish X inside because of hypothermia during our cold spike. I was able to setup an area by our fire place for an hour or two. Maybe you could setup something temporarily? Then back in the garage at night?

Back
Top Bottom