Please help me and my silver laced Sussex!!

Starrponies

Songster
Apr 8, 2024
East Wenatchee
Please help me and my silver laced Sussex. She is about 7 months old and started laying about a month or more ago each egg has gotten bigger and bigger I started giving her the calcium citrate with D3 last week and have seen no improvement in egg size. today I went out and she just is off standing around and not doing much I'm thinking she is egg bound with a huge egg. Her vent is clean and overall very healthy. is there a way that I can help her I was going to go get an Epson salt bath for her going and keep her in a dark room. Since she's never laid normal sized eggs do you think that she will actually start having normal eggs or is this just going to get worse and I'm prolonging the inevitable. she is my absolute favorite chicken my heart is broken I hope I can help her!

I think she did a soft shell this morning. She doesn't feel like she has an egg stuck.... Belly and rear look normal and soft. My 4 barred rock hen's all doing great and laying almost every day

She took a poop that looked completely normal.... Doesn't that mean she isn't egg bound. I'm reading everything I can on here and not really getting any answers 😔 wish I magically knew everything

Most hens cannot poop if an egg is blocking the vent. Brand new layers can sometimes lay a soft shell or shell-less egg. When that happens, or you think that she is egg bound, that is when to give the calcium tablet with D3. Instead of soaking her, I would just place her in a warm humid room, such as a spare bath. You may want to see if she will lay a normal egg in the near future.

someone told me to give her calcium citrate D3 because she was laying excessively large eggs and were getting bigger and bigger each egg. Should I continue that? Thank you so much @Eggcessive
this is the egg before that last which was even bigger. Then this morning a soft shell (pretty sure it was hers could be wrong)

Attachments

• IMG_20240411_101438391_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240411_101438391_HDR.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 4
I would give the calcium for the soft shell egg.It won’t do anything to prevent too large of eggs. Have you opened the large eggs to see if they are double Yorkers? Those are common in young layers, but I always have preferred they don’t lay those.

Yeah they are. Even a triple! I had her sister prolapse her vent doing the same thing. both so sweet. I'm just hoping to help her before it goes bad. Worried it's genetics

Back
Top Bottom